Hello

Hello everyone,

I am a beginner here that has been interested in real estate investing for years but never got started until now. I had enough cash and credit to purchase my own home but realize I don’t have enough of either to buy investments.

I also have no real retirement to speak of and would certainly love more income to enjoy life more so I am going to concentrate on trying to learn how to invest without cash or credit.

I have purchased the course on here " getting started in subject to" and am looking forward to getting started.

Anyway, just a quick hello to introduce myself and hopefully I will be spending a lot more time reading and posting questions on this forum.

Dustin

I dont know what your course says but if you already bought it then
hopefully, there is a section or chapter on lead generation and marketing.

In a nutshell, you need to advertise that you buy houses. <—This is the starting point with the least complications if your looking to take action today.

Whatever happens, dont overlook obvious roadblocks.
For example, you could put up a website with twitter updates, links to blogs, tons of information with all the right words, but if you dont put your phone number on the contact page then your not going to get very many calls.

[QUOTE=AmotoXracer;883843]I dont know what your course says but if you already bought it then
hopefully, there is a section or chapter on lead generation and marketing.

In a nutshell, you need to advertise that you buy houses. <—This is the starting point with the least complications if your looking to take action today.

Whatever happens, dont overlook obvious roadblocks.
For example, you could put up a website with twitter updates, links to blogs, tons of information with all the right words, but if you dont put your phone number on the contact page then your not going to get very many calls.[/QUOTE]

A slight clarification if you would be so kind.

Assume that someone is starting to market. What sort of budget and time horizon should they start with? I know some folks who run an add for a short period and then conclude direct marketing is not working. Others who budget for the longer haul appear to produce better results. What has worked for you and what would you say a new investor should do?

I have no real experience with “I buy houses” advertising so nothing I can recommend on the topic.

Just wanted to welcome Dustin to the forum. Hi Dustin!

The “subject to” course is by our Forum Host, Marko Rubel. I’m sure it addresses lead generation and marketing, as he is BIG on both.

Here is a link to some of Marko’s articles on our site:

Marko’s How-to Articles on CRE Online.

[QUOTE=John_Corey;883853]A slight clarification if you would be so kind.

Assume that someone is starting to market. What sort of budget and time horizon should they start with? I know some folks who run an add for a short period and then conclude direct marketing is not working. Others who budget for the longer haul appear to produce better results. What has worked for you and what would you say a new investor should do?

I have no real experience with “I buy houses” advertising so nothing I can recommend on the topic.[/QUOTE]

“We Buy Houses” signs also known as bandit signs, are a cheap way to advertise that your in the business of buying houses.
Most people spend maybe 300 bucks, which will buy you about 150 signs.
Most people hang them up on telephone poles in the area they want to own property. Utility companies wont be happy about it and that is somthing to be considered.

Its an effective beginner level tactic.

Years ago, in the USA, a company called “Homevestors” and their “we buy ugly houses” slogan, took this concept farther than anyone else I am aware of, by using billboards and TV commercials. I am pretty sure Homevestors is out of business now, but they are gone for reasons unrelated to their general marketing plan.

So we are clear, my message to the original poster is to advertise he/she is in the business of buying property. How he/she gets that done kind of dosent matter as long as it happens. Newspaper adds also work but are expensive. Websites dont do much by themselves unless you do somthing to drive traffic to your site.

I will also mention this.
The single most effective advertising method i have actually done is a radio add. Unfortunatly, this will cost you thousands, so its not well suited to the folks just starting out.

My area still has quite a few active Homevestor franchisees that are doing a fair amount of volume. I guess it’s like any other franchise, some make it and some don’t.

–Natalie