House with lots of roaches???

Hi,

I just bought a house and there are a ton of roahes. After demo I don’t see many of them running around anymore. Should I get a pro to spray the house before rehab?

Roach problems…

In my area, I can get a professional to spray approx. 1,000 SF houses for $90, and he guarantees it. If they aren’t gone, he retreats for free. I let him in with my lock box combo, and have to mail a check or meet him with a check.

If I buy a $10 gallon of roach spray (which one treatment uses less than half, and they all seem to work about the same to me), and spray entire house - baseboards, outlets and switches, around doors and windows, inside and out, combined and followed immediately with (2) $14 cans of Bengal aerosol spray (not much OTC works like Bengal) and blast every room, every nook and cranny, to flush out the little critters, that totals $38 and an hour of my time.

Thing is, if the roaches aren’t bad, my way USUALLY works, and I often give it a shot. If they are bad, my odds aren’t as good, and I definitely hire the professional, as my way might take 5 tries, over $100, and still not get them GONE.

Also, if I hire professional, usually takes a day or two for him to get to it, and possibly longer. Often I am already there, and carry bug stuff with me heading into the job (every house bought or vacated gets treated, so tenants move into bug free homes), so I can do it immediately. If I am showing the house right away, or someone is moving in right away, that might influence my choice, too.

Best wishes,
Chris in FL

Thanks a lot for your input Chris! I will try your way first. Ocasionally I still see a few running around so I think its not that bad now. The roaches tend to hang around the kitchen area and not the other rooms.

Hire the professional now.

If there were tons before, they are still there. Bite the bullet and get them gone.

Treating for Roaches…

If you do it yourself, focus extra on kitchens and bathrooms. Roaches need sources of water and food.

Best wishes,
Chris in FL

Get the Raid Fumigators (NOT the Foggers). Three 3-packs (9 total) ought to do it. Cost you about $40 (approx: $13 for each 3-pack). Spread them around, and close all windows. Let them fume for 4 hours. Works every time.

I live on Gulf Coast and we got some BIG ones here.

I go to Wally World and get 20 Mule Team Borax, put down a good run of it all around the house…roaches gone shortly.

Put some inside under sink, etc…roaches gone shortly.

Cost…about $2.96 per box.

Time…Long enuf to go round the place…then relax with a cool one!

In Oklahoma

I don’t know about other parts of the country, but in Oklahoma I have had no real luck with anything but a professional job. No foggers, no powders, nothing but the MAN. Then my tennants can’t complain,

Roach removal…

I read the tip about Raid Fumigators (NOT the Foggers). Tried them, used exactly as directed, and they did not do the job. I had tenant move out, and place had roaches moderately bad… Called my bug guy, but he was backed up and I was in a hurry. Tried my way… Then sprayed and bombed again… And again (with the Raid Fumigators). Still kill more critters every time I go there.
I am going to adjust my previous position, and say if the roaches are bad AT ALL, just call the professionals… Cheaper in the long run, and more time effective, too; if you have lots of properties, you can negotiate with some of them… Find somebody reasonable, reliable, and easy to do business with.

Also, when I buy a house, I always try to look under sinks, behind water heaters, etc. - any access spots, plumbing/electric/etc., and caulk and seal all ways that they can get into the house. Serves to help keep electric bills lower (so renters can afford to pay me), and keep bugs out.

Best wishes,
Chris in FL

Never lived anywhere where we had a roach problem until we moved to Arizona for a while during the RTC days and found out about a few different different types including one the size of B52’s. Tried the pros but they make a living out of controlling not eliminating. Then I ran into a guy who lived in New York for awhile and had the problem there and was sad to find the problem when he moved to the desert. He said his neighbor swore by boric acid and he tried it and it worked. So I tried it and it worked. So I endorse Bill H’s recommendation.

htdinh1002, got an update? Did it work?

i bought a 3 boxes of Raid Fumigators and test it out but it didn’t work so i called a bug guy in to spray it :-/

Well shoot. At least you know the professionals will get it taken care of.