Co-ownership home issues...

• My sister and I own a home together
  • We are both named on the loan
  • Sister lives in house by herself and pays 100% of mortgage and utilities
  • She was 30 days late one month and for some reason only my credit was dinged for this.
  • My credit score has dropped and hers has gone up!
  • How do I get myself out of this house?
  • Quick Claim Deed?
  • She does not have the $ to buy me out (i put up down payment)

thanks for reading this and any suggestions you can offer.

Quit claiming it will not get you off the loan.
Unless the mortgage company agrees to remove your name (doubt it) - I’m afraid you’re stuck with it until you guys agree to sell it.

Alexander Burnett
@eztaxdeeds

This scenario is totally unfair on your part but that’s just how banks and loan institutions work. For example, if you and your sister collectively applied for a loan of $400,000 to buy a house with joint ownership over that house, in you each have a $200,000 loan, right? Not necessarily. Banks and lenders will record the individual liability as $400,000 to manage their risk, as each borrower is effectively joint and severally liable for the other’s loan. If one member of the party defaults on a payment, the other will be responsible for making up the difference given that the bank sees this loan as a single mortgage.

Alexander might be right… :frowning:

Unfortunately, the only solution is long-term. You can sue for a “partition” action to force the sale of the property. That takes some time, but the above-posts are correct - you are on the loan, so that puts you in a bad situation.