cost effective insulation - Posted by Gene

Posted by brandoncbsre on July 14, 2008 at 19:01:27:

Seems like you could spray the foam insulation in all the cracks and crevices prior to installing the rolled insulation. I would think that would seal it a little tighter. I am unsure how much extra it will cost though.

cost effective insulation - Posted by Gene

Posted by Gene on July 14, 2008 at 08:51:28:

I am wondering if anyone knows what type of insulation is generally more cost effective.

We are finishing a loft in a cabin and we want to drywall and insulate it. Would rolls or blown be cheaper…assuming we need to rent the hopper.

Gene

Re: cost effective insulation - Posted by Ed in Idaho

Posted by Ed in Idaho on July 14, 2008 at 14:50:27:

Cheapest way is to buy rolled insul. and staple it in yourself. Tightest and best way is to hire an insulation company to blow on the cellulose type insulation that is mixed with water and gets sticky so it won’t sag. In between that is to staple a cheap plastic mesh on the wall, poke a hole near the top of the run and BLOW it in using the hopper. If you go this route, some places loan the hopper for free if you get the insulation from them.

Just depends on if the rolled is good enough or if you want more R-value and a tighter seal.

Re: cost effective insulation - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on July 14, 2008 at 09:06:26:

Gene,

‘Blown in’ insulation is for attic floors or for walls of old homes, where you don’t want to tear off the drywall in order to insulate (so they cut out small circles from the inside or outside siding, blow in insulation and close the wall back up).

Due to the effect of gravity, you can’t blow insulation against the wall and expect it to stay there until you have hung the sheetrock. ;-). But, maybe you talk about the kind of ‘blow in’ stuff that’s sticky and stays put and where you have to hire a licensed company to do it?

Yes, I’m being a smart ass ;-). But maybe I’m just misunderstanding something?

Michaela

Re: cost effective insulation - Posted by Gene

Posted by Gene on July 14, 2008 at 14:53:17:

Food for thought…

I will do some homework on the cost difference and the insulation value for the thickness I have to work with.

Good advise…thanks.

Gene

Posted by Gene on July 14, 2008 at 10:43:29:

I fully understand that with roll insulation we install before the drywall and with blown in we install after the dry wall…all that aside…which is cheaper??

Re: Michaela - Posted by mo

Posted by mo on July 14, 2008 at 10:02:47:

Where are you located in Calif?
I am up in Northern part.
What kind of investing are you doing in this market?
I would like to learn the process regarding Short sales. Do you by any chance know any good books or programs regarding this method?
The properties that are selling here seem to be the REO’s and there are some great buys right now…
I look forward to hearing back from you.
Blessings, mo

Re: cost effective insulation - Posted by Ed in Idaho

Posted by Ed in Idaho on July 14, 2008 at 14:58:37:

Don’t beat yourself up too much over it. I mean, the rolled is just fine, people have been doing it for years upon years, but I live in the mountains and if it were on a house I’m going to live in, The blown on cellulose stuff gives a really tight seal…I just like that better. Have fun!

Posted by michaela-CA on July 14, 2008 at 10:54:37:

i’m not even sure that it’s accepted by code, as you normally (at least in Fulton Cty, Georgia) have to get a ‘rough in’ sign off by the building inspector, which is being done when the walls are open (no sheetrock) all the insulation installed.

Michaela

Posted by michaela-CA on July 14, 2008 at 10:52:31:

Gene,

frankly, I’ve never even considered blow in for walls, as I always knew it as an expensive alternative, when I worked on old homes that didn’t have insulation. Usually people only used it when there was no way to do normal insulation. Personally, I would think rolls of insulation are way cheaper, but I haven’t priced any blow in. I would think though, with all the cross bracing etc, it would be so much more labor intensive and subsequently more expensive, having to keep putting holes into your new sheetrock and then having to fix it again all through the house.

Michaela

Re: Michaela - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on July 14, 2008 at 10:12:09:

Mo,

I’m in the SF Bay area and all my investments are and have been in Atlanta - major rehab of historic homes and vacant lots. Am not into short sales. You may want to check out ‘Bay Area Wealth builders’ run by Michael Morreangelo (I know I’m butchering his name, but don’t want to click back to the cash flow forum :wink:

Michaela

Posted by Gene on July 14, 2008 at 14:32:44:

Thanks for the response. Sounds like we will go with the rolls. Like you said…it just seems to make more sence with the walls being open already.

Thanks
Gene

Re: Michaela - Posted by mo

Posted by mo on July 14, 2008 at 13:50:41:

Have you gone to any of Michael’s meetings?

Do you go and look at the properties you buy in Atlanta?

I would really like to learn about short sales.
I am wondering if any of the books or course out there are good ones? There are so many… The Creonilne newletter was pushing one guy I forgot his name now I think his book was 49.95 Money back so I might pick that up.
Blessings, mo