beginning investor plan - Posted by Adrian Shepard

Posted by steve on July 11, 2008 at 13:00:26:

today.
has he followed his own advice or did he end up with adjustible rate loans that killed him?
it would be good to know.
or maybe he stopped posting here like many with good things to say!

beginning investor plan - Posted by Adrian Shepard

Posted by Adrian Shepard on July 11, 2008 at 09:01:19:

what is best way to get an education in Real Estate investing?

After buying the Carlton sheets program I felt that I still lacked the proper education for Real Estate Investing.

I founded a site which has a pretty good reading list for beginning real estate investors. (www.startinginvestor.com)

I would like to have some advice on what the best preparation for a Real Estate investing career should look like. Not only theory but also practical knowledge. (like fixing small problems. I still feel I have so much to learn

Thanks in advance!

Adrian Shepard

Start small, but start. - Posted by ED

Posted by ED on July 13, 2008 at 19:08:16:

Don’t be guilty of paralysis by analysis. Regardless of what method you choose, the only way to start is to start. Start small, but start. The best preparation, and the best education, is to be actually out there looking for the deals and trying to do them. Regardless of what type of REI you want to do, your goal for your first deal isn’t just to make $, but also to learn, and build confidence. Yes $ is the bottom line - but if you start small, you may not make a lot of $, but you’ll hopefully build a lot of confidence, to prepare you for future deals.

Sheets gets a bad rep because he has bad marketers, but I still believe his original course is sound. If you have read through that, and are going through this webste, you have the tools to start. Someone once asked Sheets what his best deal was, and I thought he gave a good answer. He replied, “I haven’t done it yet.” What he meant is that we’re always learning and improving no matter how experienced we are, and our best deals are ahead of us, not behind us.

Best preparation??? - Posted by Ed in Idaho

Posted by Ed in Idaho on July 11, 2008 at 11:58:49:

I say this to you and to myself also, so please, I hope you understand it. First you will never be ready because you want to ‘study’ a lot before you ‘jump in the pool’. That’s fine to a point.

The best way to ‘prepare’ is first to understand what money is. How it works, what it smells like, what it tastes like, how to use it to work for you so you don’t have to work for it. Control that sucker, in both buying and spending.

Next and probably more important, find a way, buy a way, steal a way, create a way to get your a$$ off the couch and get out there and do some things. (This is the part I talk to myself also) You see I have Carleton’s course also…never read/listened to the whole thing myself, but I have a few other courses and many books, as I am sure you and many others do too, but they are only good paper-weights if you don’t figure out what it takes to get you out the door and start TALKING to people, and LISTENING to people, and SEEING the things you will only see if you get out there.

How bad do you really want to be a RE investor??? Have you gone thru your Sheet’s course? Have you done anything in there? It does work because I’ve done it myself, but not enough to make me proud of myself for doing it, but that will change for me because I have either got to get over that hump and kick a$$ in RE investing NOW!!! or I am going to jump off a proverbial(?) cliff . Are you to that point too???

Sheet’s course isn’t the bible of RE investing, but there is some good stuff in there. Look, you can either choose one ‘method of investing’ and go after properties that fit that method, or if you are a more complete investor and have a basket of methods…you can look at any property and pull out the method that would best apply to control it. I say control because that includes buying, flipping, wholesaling, bird-dogging, etc…

This site is awesomne , but it is only as good as what you DO WITH IT!!! I was mentally a lot like you not so long ago. I still am to a degree. It wasn’t long ago I was in that pool of people who would ask “What next???”

But my point to my whole post is this…Use this site to get solutions for specific problems that you have because you got out there, found a deal, and need help to close it. Start networking/talking to ANYBODY who has ANYTHING to do with RE. Opportunities will start hitting you in the head and it won’t be long before you see them for what they are.

Re: Best preparation??? - Posted by Chris- WFL

Posted by Chris- WFL on July 11, 2008 at 12:36:37:

http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/arc_2001//arc_50/50774.html