How long does one have to return sec. dep. in IL? - Posted by db

Posted by Rich-CA on July 10, 2008 at 15:32:48:

as a rule I always document the deductions from a security deposit. I do this in the form of a “final statement” where I start with the deposit, deduct unpaid late fees, deduct repairs for tenant caused damage (including clogged drains and so on and including service calls during the tenancy where they did not pay but were supposed to), cleaning (we require they leave in the same condition and that means professional cleaning not amateur cleaning), and fines (HOA fines or fines levied under the lease).

I try to have this ready within 2 weeks. In AZ you have 2 weeks, in TX, CO, CA its 30 days. I believe 30 days is most common, but you can check the Nolo Press book Every Landlord’s Legal Guide because I think they have a table showing the deposit requirements for different states.

How long does one have to return sec. dep. in IL? - Posted by db

Posted by db on July 10, 2008 at 06:42:18:

Does anyone know how long a landlord has to return a security deposit in IL? I’m thinking 30 days but don’t know if that’s correct or not. Also, if anything is deducted from it does it need to be documented somehow? Thanks