Deal or no Deal? - Posted by Katherine

Posted by Rich-CA on July 09, 2008 at 11:15:41:

I would assume that an SFR would rent for a bit more as well: more space, generally better neighborhoods and the like. Maintenance on an SFR will be less frequent given that houses are much better built (hopefully - if the builder didn’t cheat) than a MH. You probably won’t get enough rent difference to justify the higher price of the SFR.

Deal or no Deal? - Posted by Katherine

Posted by Katherine on July 08, 2008 at 20:48:08:

Hi,

It’s been a while… so here goes.

If you found out that an influx of workers (pipeline) were coming to your area what would you do?

1. Buy a mobile home (the one I’m looking at has 4 bdrms and asking price is $59,000) and rent it out by the week with a few amenities thrown in (ie: laundry and cleaning services) and quite possibly have the trailer paid off in 2 - 3 years or less.

This seems to me a quick way to build equity.

OR

1. Buy a house with 2 bedrooms (asking price is $155,000) and do the same as above.

Which from the investor’s standpoint is the better deal?

Opportunity in my area has come knocking and I really want to answer the door :slight_smile:

If this is my only two choices - Posted by Celeste-fL

Posted by Celeste-fL on July 09, 2008 at 09:49:35:

I would buy the M.H. or 3 for the price of one house. I don,t like to rent.I hold paper. Renting buy the week is a big pain in the *** Why do you want to include laundry and cleaning services? Sounds like a job to me.

Re: Deal or no Deal? - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on July 09, 2008 at 06:34:07:

Is the rent the same for the MH and SFR?

Re: Deal or no Deal? - Posted by Katherine

Posted by Katherine on July 09, 2008 at 08:34:17:

This would be a weekly rental for about two years to employees of two different pipeline companies (the way I understand it).

I am estimating a weekly rent per person between 300 - 350 - this would include all utilities, weekly cleaning and laundry service.

I am thinking that the rent would be higher for the SFR as the utilities, cleaning would cost more because of size and possibly fewer people.

Thanks