Termit - Posted by Zhe Ren

Posted by jack E on July 08, 2008 at 14:04:24:

It is simple just have them include a termite treatment for which they must pay.

Termit - Posted by Zhe Ren

Posted by Zhe Ren on July 08, 2008 at 13:15:52:

I’m in the process of buying a rental. The inspection turns out there is termit in the basement. So far the inspecter doesn’t see any damages caused by termit. I want to seek your advice on if this is still ok to buy. If yes, what negotiations you need to submit to the seller? I’m afraid this will impact the future value of this property. Should I ask them to reduce the purchase price?
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Zhe

Re: Termit - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on July 09, 2008 at 10:31:52:

Termites eat wood therefore they could not have entered the building without doing some damage. I had a case where it looked rather simple and cost over $2,000 to fix. They did not do it correctly and year later it cost $2,400 to repair again…fortunately I had an inspection and had termite insurance policy in effect for both cases.

Have it done by a termite company, get their approval, get their coverage and insurance and sleep well at night.

Personally I would not purchase without the termite company and their insurance. Relative cheap and well worth the $$$. I both my cases I had paid only $400 for a year’s insurance.

Good Luck,
Bill H

Re: Termit - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on July 09, 2008 at 03:10:50:

I’m with the others…termites are easy to deal with. A good pest control company can tackle this. Ask the seller to take care of this for you.

As long as there is no damage from the termites there is nothing to worry about. It will not impact the future value of the property.

RichV(FL)

Re: Termit - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on July 08, 2008 at 14:31:37:

Termites aren’t a big deal. I never had a rehab that hadn’t had termite in the past or an active infestation at the time of my purchase.

It’s the damage that’s the problem. So, if there’re there and haven’t done any/much damage and they’re accessible - then they can just kill them and it’s not big deal.

Michaela