taking over loans on small homes (buying note) - Posted by Philip

Posted by JT-IN on July 05, 2008 at 09:02:07:

Philip:

Taking over a loan is a little different (well maybe a lot diff) than buying a note/mtg. Completely different transactions, really. It appears that your question is more directed at the purchase of a note and mtg…

First off, due to securitization of mtgs and deeds of trust today, many lenders are unable to sell the mtg, so the actual practice is few and far between, in reality. However, when you find a lender willing and able to sell the paper, you will need a discount larger than 15-20% in otder to make most of these work for you… There are of course many variables… such as what is the true underlying value of the property…? I have participated in some of these where the perceived value was low, but in reality the FMV was much higher, so a purchase of a relatively high LTV % would work in that case… but those are rare.

For the most part, I would think that you would need to purchase the paper at not more than 60-65% of FMV of the property… again, many vcariables here… Whether you are talking about a property worth 30K or 300K, makes a huge swing in strategy, so hard to generalize with advice here.

The exit strategy depends a lot as well… it seems that you are referring to a specific strategy here, “buy the note and give the occupants time to recover”. These rarely work well, again, unless specific circumstances exist, and when they do work, more than 15-20% juice is required… Time is money and usually when an owner is in trouble, they don’t recover within a matter of a few months, it is often years, so a much larger spread is required for that reason. There are also legal fees associated with this type of purchase, which must be factored into any deal…

Bottom line is this approach is not a beginners sport. There are so many pitfalls with this type of investing that a novice will surely go broke due to the learning curve.

One last thing… 71 y.o. Dads are conservative for a reason… they have seen many things you haven’t and part of the reason that they have money is because they have withstood the temptation to invest in many other former opptys that may not have panned out as billed. So to miss the gold rush, or the land rush isn’t all that bad for a conservative person, as afterall what is most important for them is peace of mind with any investment or approach, and if it doesn’t feel right, then it isn’t right, no matter what the lost oppty happens to be.

JT-IN

taking over loans on small homes (buying note) - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on July 05, 2008 at 05:28:16:

When homeowners are losing their home due to non-payment some investors either take over the loan or buy the note and give the occupants time to recover…if they don’t they have to move them out and then resell the house.

IF their is 15 -20% equity in these deals at the start are they worth doing?

A second question would be is their any RE area for a person with 10 - 25k to invest in without very much actual rehabbing of a house. This would need to be shorter term. My 71 year old dad won’t buy gold or silver and needs a better return on his money.

He is conservative neeedless to say.

thanks,
Philip

Re: taking over loans on small homes (buying note) - Posted by Robert

Posted by Robert on July 05, 2008 at 14:00:10:

I live in a great tax lien state NE, next to one of the best Iowa. I have participated in a tax lien team. With these teams, some research every piece of property and come to bid in numbers. If you are looking for one property in particular, you may not come close. By the way, in NE, the county treasurer can set the rules of bidding with no questions asked and no uniformity. On it goes. Not for me.

I work with note buying at times and very competitive.

Look at wholesaling - I could tell you about it if you want. Email me or best of luck.

BTW, A general principle is not to lead the delinquent party stay in the house. Probably some of the forum have pulled it off but I would be reluctant.

Keep it simple.

RTU

Re: taking over loans on small homes (buying note) - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on July 05, 2008 at 13:00:54:

Phillip, JT-IN is correct about buying notes now-a-days.

I quit long ago and go into the tax lien/certificate end of the market.

It too is rather competetive and cut throat but can be very lucrative.

BUY for the interest and penalties…NOT…the property as you see the late night TV Gurus’s advertising infomercials.

If your dad has any interest in doing so then search the archives on this and every board that you visit for “Tax Sales…Tax Certificates…Tax Deeds…Etc,” There has been lots and lots of discussion on many boards and you should gain some good info.

I do NOT recommend any Guru or any books and tapes. I have searched most of them in the past 15 years or so.

Good Luck,
Bill H