HAVING RELATIONS WITH SECTION 8 - Posted by Able Learner

Posted by IB (NJ) on November 19, 2006 at 24:02:21:

Ski, your post has nothingto do with the subject matter. Able was just commenting on HIS experience which many of us who deal with section 8, including MYSELF, can relate to. Lighten up and try answering the question.

Ib

HAVING RELATIONS WITH SECTION 8 - Posted by Able Learner

Posted by Able Learner on November 18, 2006 at 18:12:47:

No, No. I’m sorry to disappoint you, but this message MAY not turn out exactly the way you thought. Although I may try to pepper the rest of it with sexual innuendo and suggestive language, just to maintain a high level of expectation on your part.

I have a section 8 tenant set up and ready to check in to my first Section 8 house. The government people will be calling to tell me when they will come out to inspect the property, which will be some time during this century, possibly the next. At which time they may find some thing wrong which will bring my inspection date to approximately 2326 AD.

It looks as though I have found a qualified NON-Section 8 tenant with a whopping down payment that may be ready to check in RIGHT NOW.

If I decide suddenly not to go with section 8, will it hurt my relationship with local section 8 people for possible future properties? See . . . this message didn’t turn out quite like you expected, but stand by it may get better.

I mean, if I pull out of the program before Section 8 comes to point of even inspecting the house will some person with that well-known government-employee fetish (and you know what I’m talking about . . . paper pushing!!!) decide to stop having any kind of relations-ship with me or my company . . . professionally I mean.

Everyone has been great to me on this board. I’m not kidding really. Can someone help. Thanks so very much in advance.

Able Learner

Its A Business - Posted by Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy on November 19, 2006 at 09:30:37:

I had the same situation roll out last week. Section 8’er won’t be able to move in until Dec 1, but a qualified tenant showed up with full deposit and rent. Easy decision. I’m not going to lose 3 weeks worth of rent just to placate the local housing agency. I am always very clear aboutmy policy: :the first qualified tenant who shows up with deposit and rent gets the unit."

Don’t worry about being blackballed. You may cause a small amount of irritation to the case worker, but that irritation will be gone the next day. They work hundreds of cases, and there are other case workers in the office.

be business-like and be consistent, and you will be OK.

Re: HAVING RELATIONS WITH SECTION 8 - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on November 19, 2006 at 24:05:10:

Able, I guess it would depend on your market. Here it wouldn’t matter at all. Just send a letter and let them know that you decided to rent to a non-section 8 tenant. In my market, it’s really the tenant that helps establish your relationship, good or bad, with the local section 8 office. Meaning, if your tenant has a bad relationship with his/her case worker, trust me, so will you.

Ib

Re: Expect - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on November 18, 2006 at 21:45:04:

To be BLACKLISTED, at least.

Re: HAVING RELATIONS WITH SECTION 8 - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on November 18, 2006 at 19:28:55:

I agree that good relationships w/not-so-big bureaucrats are
extremely important. That’s why I try to deal face-to-face & bring
chocolates often. A Cadbury bar is cheap (I stock up when they
are 99¢) & can works wonders. The highest yielding investments
I’ve ever made came in paper wrappers.

Do exercise caution w/your dream tenant. I have learned that
some of the very WORST tenants come bearing large amounts of
ca$h as a way to dazzle landlords into not doing as thorough a
background check. I am very leary whenever a prospects starts
flashing $$$, as it can be a blinking red light.

I can’t advise you on your choice between Section 8 & the other
tenant. It would depend on what you’ve promised & the quality of
the tenants. I don’t think you are bitter, but I do sense that you
are having a skirmish w/your conscience. Being up front is
usually best, especially when in doubt–

Tye

Re: HAVING RELATIONS WITH SECTION 8 - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on November 18, 2006 at 19:01:36:

Sorry to see you are so BITTER. I have done inspections with the section 8 people. They were pleasent, knew what they were supposed to do and did it. My place passed with flying colors. They came about 5 minutes before the scheduled time. Perhaps you have a sub-standard place, or were rude with that orginization, or something.

Re: HAVING RELATIONS WITH SECTION 8 - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on November 19, 2006 at 09:59:29:

Sailor is right. Be careful of them flashing large sums of cash in your face. You will find those people, especially if the cash is in 5’s, 10’s and 20’s, may be dealing drugs.

Re: HAVING RELATIONS WITH SECTION 8 - Posted by able learner again

Posted by able learner again on November 19, 2006 at 07:20:44:

It’s humor. Kinda like this . . .

What do government workers sprinkle on their cereal in the morning?

Alum, so that by the time they get to work, it’s gotten to it’s destination.

And how has your government job been treating you? Do you often forget to bring your slippers home from the office?

Able Learner