Structuring short sale for retail flip - Posted by Jeff

Posted by christine.mendenhall on November 16, 2006 at 12:08:52:

Here’s what I do.

First and foremost you need to make sure the Title Company you?re going to close with will allow the double close. If not, here?s a hint on how to find one, Bill Bronchik, has a huge REI club there in Denver, you should be able to go to that meeting and find another investor who knows of a Title company that will perform the double close.

Once you have that, here’s how to get it done.

You are going to have to place the house in a land trust with an assignment of beneficial interest. (You, of course, will be assigned the beneficial interest) If you do not have one, email me and I will send you mine. It is for Illinois and I have one for Missouri, but you should be able to rework it to your state specification pretty easily.

You will need to have two different contracts one for the buyer and seller, you already have one for the seller and you may have one in writing from the buyer, if not, get it, the title company will need it. You may, and I have, come into the issue with the buyer?s lender as to why this house is in a Land Trust. They usually will question it and my reply is always, ?It was in the best interest of the seller to have it placed in a land trust for asset protection.? If they want to see it come out the land trust, get a new lender, I have one who can pull off this deal in Colorado pretty easily.

At the closing, you are going to close with the buyer first and use their funds to pay off the sellers lender netting the monies in between for yourself through the assignment of beneficial interest. And, if you?re dealing with the right people, it?s just that easy.

C

Structuring short sale for retail flip - Posted by Jeff

Posted by Jeff on November 16, 2006 at 11:35:55:

I’m looking for suggestions on how to structure a short sale deal for sale to a retail buyer.
I have negotiated a sweet short sale purchase on a NICE home in the Denver area. I will be selling to a retail buyer who will be getting a conventional loan to purchase. His lender has a problem funding the purchase from me because I have not been on title for at least 6 months. It was suggested by another investor that we title the property in a land trust. I’m not sure how this helps because the lender who accepted the short sale is going to see the resale amount on the HUD and pull the deal.It seems there has to be a double close on this.
I need a walk through on this scenario.

retail flip… - Posted by lukeNC

Posted by lukeNC on November 17, 2006 at 16:20:04:

Its all up to the lender funding the loan…bottomline. There’s just no way around it, LEGALLY…

Any title company can do a double closing, but if the funding lender objects to it, no one can do the double close.

I’ve posted earlier about taking an unsecured note for your fee. You may find that works better.

Have your buyer buy the property at your discounted price.

Then, have your buyer get an equity line later down the road to pay off your note.