time spent on market in short sale package? - Posted by Tim

Posted by christine.mendenhall on November 16, 2006 at 18:04:53:

First, a BPO is a Brokers price opinion. Banks get them by hiring a real estate agent to do a comparative market analysis on the property. You could call it an appraisal, with out the appraiser. When you submit your SS (short sale package) to the lender, they will do their own review and appraisal of the property. Not that your not a nice and honest guy, it’s just that the lender has to do it’s own due diligence as to the condition the property is in and access for themselves what that property could potentially sell for in the open market.

My answer to you was not, in any way, a reference to how I get the money to fund my deal. I wanted you to understand that it?s not necessarily about the information you give to the lender, it?s about the due diligence the lender does after your package is submitted that will make or break your deal.

So, step by step, here it goes? You are going to submit that package to the lender; you will call them in 24hours to make sure they have received it. They, in turn, will tell you it?s a ridiculous offer, ( and if they don?t we have to re work your bidding process because you are bidding to much) Next, you will say ? I understand that you feel this is a ridiculous offer, however, given the condition of the property and the current downward spiral the real estate market is in, I know that if you?ll do a BPO your BPO agent (the realtor hired to give their opinion on price) will confirm what I?m telling you. They will then, most likely, moan and groan some more at which time you, in your nicest investor guy voice, say ?What state are you guys in?? They will reply, if they say anything other than your state you reply with ?Well here in (insert the name of your state) the real estate market has dropped considerably. In fact, houses in our area are selling at 5-10% lower this year, than they were last year, and that?s for the average house that doesn?t have the kind of repairs this house does.? ?Ya know, US News, just put out a report in November (and they did) stating this is the largest drop in real estate value in history. If they answer with your state you say the same thing except, instead of saying ?Well here in? You say ?As you are already aware?? and then finish the sentence. Or, make up something totally different that is unique to you.

They will order that BPO, when they do, they?ll ask who should be the point of contact, that should be you. That?s enough to get you started. Whe you get to that point, I?ll take you through the rest. Otherwise, this post could turn into page upon page.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

C

time spent on market in short sale package? - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on November 16, 2006 at 11:34:38:

When presenting a short sale package to the lender I’m aware of the fact that it is beneficial to submit the necessary rehab (if there is any), and also to show the comps that are in that particular neighborhood. I’ve read about other investors who say that they also show the “time spent on the market” so that it can give the lender a good gauge as to the amount of holding costs that they may incur. My question is, how do you find out the average time spent on the market for a particular neighborhood? Is this something that I will have to develop a relationship with a real estate agent, and get this information from them? Thank you all for your input, and assistance on this.
Tim

Re: time spent on market in short sale package? - Posted by chrisitne mendenhall

Posted by chrisitne mendenhall on November 16, 2006 at 11:47:54:

I am not aware of any websites free or otherwise that would provide you with that information. So I am going to go with yes, you will need to develop a relationship with an agent in order to get the average days on market. Or, just call any local RE company, ask for the duty agent in the office, they should be able to pull the information for you immediately and send it over via email.

Just as an FYI, all the information you are sending to lender is fine. However, the lender knows this is bias information from you and will still heavily rely on the BPO that they hire out. This is really where you deal becomes workable or trash. When dealing with the lender, you want to make sure that you are the point of contact for the BPO agent/ Appraiser. You will want to make yourself available to be there for that inspection and have as much information in hand for the agent. (Comps, days on market, any code deficiencies, if that applies in your area, and estimate of repairs)

Best of Luck,

C

Re: time spent on market in short sale package? - Posted by Steve B

Posted by Steve B on November 16, 2006 at 17:07:12:

Christine -

What is a “BPO agent”? Are your comments in reference to trying to convince your lender to fund you based on the eventual “fixed-up” value of your short sale purchase so as not to extend a lesser loan based on the lower actual purchase price? This is how I read it, but perhaps I missed the point.

Thanks for all of the great comments.

Steve B