Is this wise? - Posted by Ron M

Posted by Marc Donovan on November 16, 2006 at 06:56:30:

The court considers this a high interest loan and now its usury. Depending on your state laws, you usually have to give all of the interest back, plus pay a heavy penalty.

Sounds like you did not really see Don’s point. No matter how many documents you make them sign, its down to a jury to decide what is fair. If I was on the jury you would have a chance, but most folks would see you as a crook taking advantage of someone’s bad luck - specially after an attorney laid it all out for them. You would be raked over the coals.

On top of that, there are a dozen states that put severe limits on these types of deals. Know why? Cause regular folks think this is a rip off and the politicians push it as an agenda to get elected. That’s who your jury will consist of.

Buy the house. Give them their money and be done with it. Put someone else in on L/O.

Also, giving them an option grants them an interest in the property regardless of what other statements they may sign. You will have to foreclose so it will go to big-boys court and you can expect a defense attorney to drag it out and make you look like a crook. Plus the newspapers love this drama.

Is this wise? - Posted by Ron M

Posted by Ron M on November 15, 2006 at 18:08:39:

I was referred to a family (husband, wife, 3 children) that are presently about 4 months behind in their house payments. They are behind in their payments because of medical bills resulting from a sports accident with their 16 year old daughter. They have both been in their jobs over 10 years (wife works part time).

Loan Balance = $96,000
Appraisal (1.5 years ago) $135,000
Current Value is approximately $145,000

1. My plan is to bring the loan current including all legal fees about $8,000.
  2. Have them give me a Statutory Warranty Deed on the property - signed over to my LLC.
  3. Have them sign a lease for $200 more than their current house payment (approx $1,300 per month)
  4. Give them an option to purchase the house back from me for $20,000 more than I pay for it + closing costs. This leaves them with more than 50% of their current equity and gives them all future appreciation.

Can anyone tell me what my risks are and if there are ways to abate the risks. I figure I am risking the $8K to some degree and while I don’t want to lose money, I can afford to lose it if that happens. I considered getting a new loan, but then I am risking much more than the $8K.

Thanks in advance for your positive input.

Ron M (WA)

Re: Is this wise? - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on November 18, 2006 at 19:56:00:

Ron,

As others have said, this isn’t a good idea. I’m not sure why you think they can afford to pay rent now. What will you do if they file bankruptcy? That would be a likely scenario for someone with medical bills they can’t afford.

–Natalie

Re: Is this wise? - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on November 15, 2006 at 21:34:07:

Mike:

Don(VA) gave a good analysis of what might happen in a court case…worse than that in liberal WA you probably would get hooked on a usurious loan situation…in essence all you are doing with all the …stay in the house…make higher payments…buy it back–stuff…is in reality in the eyes of lots of judges just a usurious loan…and most do not like loan sharking.

Like Don(VA) says…if the numbers work…buy the house…have them move on…rehab as necessary and sell…KISS.

Good Luck,
Bill H

No, No, No… - Posted by Don (VA)

Posted by Don (VA) on November 15, 2006 at 19:26:28:

Let’s assume they default on their lease. (Though frankly they don’t even have to.) You attempt to evict them for non-payment of rent. They take you to court. Their lawyer has them on the stand.

Seller: So this guy came to me and said he had a way to save my house.
Lawyer: What did he tell you?
Seller: He said that I should start making my payments to him and he’d save my house?
Lawyer: What happened then?
Seller: Well, first, the payment went up $200 a month. We weren’t even able to keep up with $1,300, because of our daughter’s illness. We thought the payments would drop to let us catch up. But instead he raised them.
Lawyer: Is that all?
Seller: We thought this was some sort of refinancing or debt reduction plan. Then we found out that somehow he owned the house. We were conned into giving him the house; we didn’t even own it anymore.
Lawyer: Is that all?
Seller: No. Then we found out that if we wanted our house back…our OWN house…the one that our monthly payments had been raised on…that we’d have to pay him $20,000 and all sorts of extra expenses. Remember, we had run out of money and were having trouble paying $1,300 a month. He jacked the payments up to $1,500 and now he expected us to come up with an ADDITIONAL $20,000. Where did he expect us to get THAT from?
Lawyer: So what happened?
Seller: Well, we couldn’t make those higher payments. When we told him that, he tried to evict us from our own house. Said we could buy back our own house for $20,000. That just doesn’t seem fair.

Ron, that’s happening all the time across the country. The sellers “forget” they deeded the property over. Plus, realistically, they often can’t afford higher payments, when lower payments led to a preforeclosure situation. And, really, where do you expect them to come up with $20,000? That’s a lot of money for even these employed people to come up with. And, on top of all that, if they have an option on the property, then they have equitable interest and you wouldn’t be able to evict in any case. With equitable interest, even just an option, you might have to foreclose.

It’s always dangerous to leave the people in their own property. It’s doubly dangerous to raise their monthly payments–it looks horrible when it goes to court. Some gurus do have strategies for preforeclosure bailouts leaving the owner in the property, but they’re very detailed in what you have to do…and even then it’s chancy.

Best thing to do is to buy the house from them and have them move on…if there’s enough money in the deal for you. And I’d even question your numbers: Not many houses that appraised at the top of the market a year and a half ago have gone up in value. And why was it appraised? If it was something to benefit the owner (a HELOC, for instance), the appraisal may not have been sufficiently conservative. I’ve seen appraisals done during the summer of 2005…and there was no way the house was worth that even then. Most things I’m looking at today that appraised at, say, $550,000 in June of 2005 aren’t selling now for $475,000…or things that actually sold then for $280,000 are on the market now (and not selling) for $219,000. Those are real examples.

Be very, very careful.

Re: Is this wise? - Posted by Ron M

Posted by Ron M on November 17, 2006 at 08:34:14:

Thanks for the reply Bill. Again, this is why I posted it here.

I am a solution oriented person. It seems to me there has to be a way that grown people can reach a reasonable solution to a problem that benefits both parties.

I am looking at just purchasing the property and giving them a rental agreement so that they do not have to move. If I don’t provide an option agreement at this time, but rather let them know “verbally” that after they have made 12 months in payments I will give them the opportunity to purchase the home back, do you think that would avoid the entire “usurious loan/buy it back” court room problems you mentioned?

The numbers do work, but the end result of them having to move, whether because of a foreclosure or an agreement to sell and leave, are the same. They don’t want to leave and can afford to stay if someone will just give them a chance.

Thanks for your reply.

Ron

Re: No, No, No… - Posted by Ron M

Posted by Ron M on November 15, 2006 at 21:29:30:

Wow! That is quite a response. I certainly am not going to tell them that I have a “way to save their house”, nor am I going to tell them this is any type of “refinancing or debt reduction plan”.

In fact I had actually planned on writing and going over a document which clearly states that they are selling the home to me and have no equitable interest in the property. Also covering things such as the fact that I am not making them a loan of any type and that I am giving them ample time and even recommending they consult with an attorney before selling me the property. I was going to have them initial each individual sentence that we discussed acknowledging their understanding and acceptance of the terms.

Do you think I would be more secure if I just got a new loan and purchased the property outright rather than leave their loan in place?

I am thinking that I will not give them an option to purchase the property back until after they have made their monthly payments on time for at least 6 months. Also, since I already know their credit score and their monthly income, I am certain they can make the new rent payment and qualify for a “new” loan to purchase the property in 12 months.

I figure that if it came to an eviction or a foreclosure, there is ample equity in the home to get it done, re-sold and back on the market with no real loss of dollars. If not, then I am out only $8000, and they still have to pay the loan or their lender will go ahead and foreclose on them anyway.

As it turns out, the market I am in has appreciated 17% this year alone and is continuing to rise. But I agree that I will have to seek out my own value to be certain the number wasn’t inflated to begin with.

Thanks for your realistic view point. That is why I posted here, I would rather consider the pitfalls now and determine if I can live with the “worst case” rather than focus on just the potential profitablity of a deal.

I will be very, very careful.

Ron M (WA)

Re: No, No, No… - Posted by Chris in FL

Posted by Chris in FL on November 19, 2006 at 21:42:33:

Ron,
Just like Don and Marc said, you don’t want to go where you are headed. It might work out fine, just as planned, but too risky. Way too many homeowners in same situation, later, after their situation stabilizes and they are doing fine, look back and decide “Hey, this guy that claimed he wanted to help really took advantage of me while I was down”. Then they come after you, and the judges, juries, etc. like homeowners better than ‘greedy investor types’, plain and simple. They don’t care about the documentation. There are a lot of gurus and investors that preach against what you want to do. Learn from their mistakes! Best wishes!