11" differential in slab - Help! - Posted by Tim Randle

Posted by Jim Kennedy on November 19, 1999 at 12:00:08:

Tim,

$12K for 32 piers seems extremely high to me. That works out to $375 per pier, which is a pretty high retail price. In my area, Houston, TX, there are companies that will charge that and even more. A friend of mine recently got a bid of $15K for a 32-pier foundation repair job. There is one company here in Houston that charges $195 per pier and another company that charges $155 per pier. Both offer lifetime transferable warranties. I found a guy that charges $100 per pier, but he only offers a four-year warranty.

I know that foundation repair costs can vary widely from one part of the country to another. There even seems to be a large price differential between here and Dallas. I would shop around. Ask some rehabbers in your area who they have used. That?s how I found the guy that charges $100 per pier.

There are also several different systems that are used in repairing foundations and that also accounts for price differences.

Hope this help.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

11" differential in slab - Help! - Posted by Tim Randle

Posted by Tim Randle on November 19, 1999 at 08:37:16:

I could use some assistance here, please. I have a motivated seller with the following:

2/2/1 in good neighborhood
1,000 sq. ft., good carpet and paint
owes 63k, pmt $617
comps 74k to 78k
house is sinking (11" difference per seller)
tile in front bath is buckled
very little other visible damage from sinking
seller’s only estimate to correct was 12k for 32 piers
in good shape house would rent for $850 easily
was recently rented for $650, now vacant

I’ve never dealt with a slab issue yet. I have some calls in to some folks, but haven’t heard back yet. I think seller will deed me the house and pay own closing costs just to be rid of it. Any chance of getting house leveled for $5k or under? What other issues do I need to watch for and ask about? Thanks in advance for your help…

recycle your research…think outside the box - Posted by leslie

Posted by leslie on November 27, 1999 at 21:28:12:

you just might find that property on the auction block. often times we get a second bite at the apple. houses rarely go away, but situations change. sometimes a better bargin presents itself if you are watching. don’t throw away that file folder yet. it could be a real bargin to get it from the bank. you already have all the stuff you need to show the bank the high cost of making it right. banks don’t like problem houses. you now know the high and the low costs to get it fixed. you just might get it for say… $49k or less… really.

actually you could possibly try that now. if the seller will cooperate, and the lender is or could be concerned about getting it back, as they should be. it dosn’t seem that the owner is anxious to do the work, or continue owning it. look up “short sale” articles. if the is no competition from other buyers there may still be a deal here, and a learning experience as well.

keep it up

Re: 11" differential in slab - Help! - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on November 24, 1999 at 21:09:46:

Here are some ideas from experience. Have a leak check done on water, gas, and sewer lines done BEFORE any foundation work. Then afterwards. Get an engineers report detailing elevations and what needs to be done. On a recent slab job that the foundation people wanted to add a bunch of piers(10-15K) the engineer said 2 piers and mudjacking. $2900 later the slab was level.

Re: 11" differential in slab - Help! - Posted by steph in tex

Posted by steph in tex on November 20, 1999 at 22:00:55:

Tim,
I have recently gotten a bid for 27 piers for 6K.
I’ll find that number and forward it to you.
Just curious: was this the one where the utilities were all on except the water? in RR? Just sounds familiar.
give me a buzz when you get a chance.
steph

Re: 11" differential in slab - Help! - Posted by Steve - Atlanta

Posted by Steve - Atlanta on November 19, 1999 at 20:55:21:

Jim is exactly right. You need to find out why it is sinking.

I am an architect and have seen almost everything. There are many reasons it could be sinking, some of which cannot be solved by piers. Eleven inches of settlement is a major problem.

In spite of the fact the owner is ready to walk, there is not much equity to solve what could be a major structural problem. I would be very cautious and make no promises to the owner until I knew what it would take to fix it.

Good luck.

Re: 11" differential in slab - Help! - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on November 19, 1999 at 13:08:37:

Tim,
First the disclaimer. I have only dealt with ONE of these.
But, here is what I learned.
If the house is sinking, you may need to look at several things.

1. Why is it sinking? soft ground, something buried underneath?
  2. What else is damaged?
    Is there plumbing or electrical work under that slab that has been stressed? What is the cost to insure that is corrected.

I know a guy here who bought a home, then found out that this home was on the lot for the developers office back in the 50’s. The lot had a “community pool” on it for new residents. When they built the home back then, they simply filled the old in ground pool with dirt and poured the slab over it.
Talk about problems.
Last I heard, he is still going after the seller for failing to disclose this little tid bit.

anyway, be careful and good luck,
Jim IL