1971 MH "too old"? - Posted by Indiana Bob

Posted by Chuck (AZ) on February 07, 2002 at 14:08:35:

I’ve got quite a few pre-hud’s in my 55+ park, the electrical has of course been updated as required by law over time.

Never had a problem moving one in AZ, the climate is kind to “tin”.

:wink:

1971 MH “too old”? - Posted by Indiana Bob

Posted by Indiana Bob on February 07, 2002 at 13:06:21:

I am a newbie looking for that first deal. I have approval from my PM to do deals. One that is interesting is a 1971 2BR, 2BA.

They are asking $4000. Home looks really nice from the outside, and they said carpeting is 2 years old, has C/A and a new furnace. Also said they painted walls just before moving to their new house.

Biggest question before I go into this deal is the age of the home. I’ve seen some articles in the archives about Pre-HUD (1976?), and wonder what other experiences are with homes of this age. Thanks!

Bob

Re: 1971 MH “too old”? - Posted by GerryH VA

Posted by GerryH VA on February 07, 2002 at 23:32:33:

Just moved and set-up a 68 Parkway. I don’t know Indiana laws but I would verify the following:

1. Need at least 100A service, perferably 200A. If it has anything less, you will have to go through extreme pain to upgrade it to existing code. 50A service cannot run a dryer and electric stove. If it is an oil furnace it probably has at least 100A but could have just 50A.
  2. Need copper wiring not aluminum.
  3. If you think you will move it, check frame. When they get old, they can rust really bad.
  4. Plumbing, if it hasn’t been updated, any repair will become major as it will be better to replace the entire part instead of trying to fix it.
  5. Check codes, etc. The building code may make you repair to current standards instead of just simply fixing the problem. Big expense.

Good Luck

GerryH VA

Re: 1971 MH “too old”? - Posted by Ron

Posted by Ron on February 07, 2002 at 16:02:04:

Hi Bob,

Have two (2) pre-HUD’s and didn’t have any problems moving them due to age - one is a 3/2, the other a 2/1, I had a little problem with the latter, most people want a 3 bedroom but I did get it sold under contract and had no other problems.

Look it over good, check your plumbing, that can become a little costly, the electrical could cause you a problem, I don’t know what Indiana laws are so I would check that part out.

Best of luck,

Ron