2 year experience required to deal in SC? - Posted by jp

Posted by Dan - GA on August 29, 2003 at 23:32:42:

JP:
It seems to me that they have put a circular logic error in their requirements concerning being a dealer. What they want is your fee $s. Ask them to give you a written answer on how to comply with this rule while you are doing deals during your first two years. If they say they can’t or won’t, they have a problem with their rule. If they do and they say that you can’t sell any until you’ve worked for some other dealer for two years, they are blocking free trade and you have a legitmate case against the rule.

2 year experience required to deal in SC? - Posted by jp

Posted by jp on August 27, 2003 at 10:21:50:

Thank you to this board for all the free information. A couple of questions:
I was browsing the applicable state laws in South Carolina and discovered a paragraph stating that anyone seeking a MH dealer’s license must show at least 2 years of applicable experience in MHs. Does anyone know if this is a hard and fast requirement? What does it take to fulfill this if I have no experience whatsoever in mobile homes?

Thank you for any knowledge on this you may have.

jp

What came first the deal or the dealer? - Posted by Dan - GA

Posted by Dan - GA on August 28, 2003 at 22:40:46:

JP:
How can you gain experience (except as another dealers sales person) unless you have a dealers license? Sounds like the chicken and the egg.

If you own one MH (or a couple) and you do some work on it and sell it, it was personal property just like a car or house.

If you have a “lot” out on the bypass road, you are a dealer.

Re: What came first the deal or the dealer? - Posted by jp

Posted by jp on August 29, 2003 at 11:02:55:

Dan,
Are you implying that a dealer’s license is not required?

I think the law is pretty clear on this. If you do more than the occassional Lonnie deal (i.e. more than 2 or 3 each year) then you are a dealer. And if I have a dealer license, I don’t necessarily have to have a “lot”. I agree that you can’t really get experience unless you are actually doing deals, and then you’d have to be a dealer. That’s why I asked the question.

Could you please clarify what you meant?