2nd house with VA loan? - Posted by Leon B

Posted by Dave t on May 02, 1999 at 17:27:52:

Regardless of the amount of your loan, your entire loan entitlement is “obligated” when you get a VA loan. Therefore it is unlikely that you have any remaining entitlement that can be used for a second VA loan program.

Check out “VA-Guaranteed Home Loans for Veterans”, VA Pamphlet 26-4 for complete details.

Veterans who had an older VA loan before may still have “remaining entitlement” to use for another VA loan. The current amount of entitlement available to each eligible veteran is $36,000. This was much lower in years past and has been increased over time by changes in the law. For example, a veteran who obtained a $25,000 loan in 1974 would have used $12,500 guaranty entitlement, the maximum then available. Even if that loan is not paid off, the veteran could use the $23,500 difference between the $12,500 entitlement originally used and the current maximum of $36,000 to buy another home with VA financing. An additional $14,750, up to a maximum entitlement of $50,750 is available for loans above $144,000 to purchase or construct a home.

Most lenders require that a combination of the guaranty entitlement and any cash downpayment must equal at least 25 percent of the reasonable value or sales price of the property, whichever is less. Thus, in the example, the veteran’s $23,500 remaining entitlement would probably meet a lender’s minimum guaranty requirement for a no downpayment loan to buy a property valued at and selling for $94,000. The veteran could also combine a downpayment with the remaining entitlement for a larger loan amount.

Veterans can have previously-used entitlement “restored” to purchase another home with a VA loan if:

1. The property purchased with the prior VA loan has been sold and the loan paid in full, or
  2. A qualified veteran-transferee (buyer) agrees to assume the VA loan and substitute his or her entitlement for the same amount of entitlement originally used by the veteran seller. Remaining entitlement and restoration of entitlement can be requested through the nearest VA office by completing VA Form 26-1880.

The entitlement may also be restored one time only if the veteran has repaid the prior VA loan in full but has not disposed of the property purchased with the prior VA loan.

2nd house with VA loan? - Posted by Leon B

Posted by Leon B on May 01, 1999 at 15:26:17:

I purchased the home I live in 4 years ago with my VA loan. The loan amount was for $77,400. It’s been a while and I don’t remember but I think they will loan up to $188,000. Can I use the remaining $110,600 to purchase another home to live in while keeping the one I have? If this is possible, does anyone have any suggestions for making a super deal that falls within the VA’s guidelines. You guys are great! Thanks.

Leon (Just north of Charlotte NC on Lake Norman)