$3,000 cash for 1970ish MH? - Posted by Fred

Posted by CTChap on February 26, 1999 at 09:55:10:

Fred,

$10K?!?!? That sounds WAY high!! How many bedrooms/baths? Probably 2/1, and more like a 1960ish! Your offer depends on your area. You’ve already said in your ad that you will go as high as $3K. Personally, I don’t put how much I’ll pay in my ads. It’ll give you more leverage in negotiations if they don’t know how much you’ve got.

I’ve never heard of going through a REALTOR for a Lonnie deal…I wouldn’t want to do this at all.

If the REALTOR wasn’t in the picture, and the sellers needed out, and the place was trashed out, I would probably only offer $1500-$2K TOPS! (And that’s only if it was in MY area - not an hour and a half away)

There should be plenty of BETTER deals closer to home!

Good luck to you.

CTChap

$3,000 cash for 1970ish MH? - Posted by Fred

Posted by Fred on February 26, 1999 at 08:56:53:

Just got a call from a realtor concerning an ad i placed for a MH…I indicated that i could pay up to $3K…he saw it and called. He indicate he had one about 1 hour and 1/2 away from me in a big park (200+)…the couple who was there wants out because they have bought a house…it was listed with this realtor for $10K (which sounds very high) and the realtor said that although he wasn’t sure they would take $3M, it might work out for everyone. Before i drive 1 1/2 hours to take a look, i wanted to ask the group:

1. What would you offer? (realtor indicates the MH has clapboard siding, has a lot of junk around, but that could easily be cleaned up…
  2. I think it’s only 12x61…anyone have any problem selling these?
  3. The couple that owns it approached the park manager to see if he would buy it, but supposedly it fell through…i guess lonnie was right when he said some people aren’t interested in changing their lives…but my wife is concerned that if the park manager didn’t want it, something must be wrong.
  4. Should the distance be a factor?

any help is greatly appreciated.

fred

Re: $3,000 cash for 1970ish MH? - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on February 26, 1999 at 10:29:12:

It does seem high, but you never know till you see the condition. Can it stay in the park? Have you talked to the manager of the park? What is the park like?
find the answers to these questions before letting your mouth water to buy. I’ve seen great MH deals go bad and profit die because of personality conflicts with the park managers. Get your ducks in a row. On the distance, my feeling would be one definitely make sure it’s a deal because a 3 hour round trip gets costly in time. I would screen my buyer a little more than normal because of the distance, and that costs time and money.

David Alexander

Re: $3,000 cash for 1970ish MH? - Posted by Sheik

Posted by Sheik on February 26, 1999 at 10:18:56:

It would seem to me that MH around the country vary
widely in price.

Lonnie buys for approx. 2K-4K. I have a friend in SC
who (as she puts it) wouldn’t touch the ones I buy
here in NY with a 10 foot pole (they are 1960’s).

Yet I routinely buy these 1960’s for approx. 4K-6K and
resell for approx. 12K-14K W/ financing.

I guess what I am saying is it is difficult for anyone
who is not in your area to say WHAT you should pay
for it. You HAVE to learn the local market.

Sorry if this is not the answer you are looking for.

Sheik