$3000 with no money down - Posted by Brian

Posted by Doug Pretorius on April 04, 2000 at 17:09:43:

See disclaimer = my way out!

Maybe Brian will explain? Now that you point it out, it does sound like he sold the interest payments which he is paying! Wow, I’d like to know how I can sell my payments for $$$$.$$! :slight_smile:

$3000 with no money down - Posted by Brian

Posted by Brian on April 03, 2000 at 22:19:56:

I received a phone call from an out of town gentleman who owned a house in my town. He said someone had told him I buy houses. After a short discussion, he agreed to come 2 hrs to town the next day. After viewing the property, I asked what price he was looking for. He stated $30,000. I offered $25,000 at 12% for 3 years interest only and balloon payment of 25,000. He agreed with 0 down, 1st payment 45 days from that day. I got the keys, his signature on contract and placed the add in the paper. The house by the way is valued at 44,000. Over 50 calls on this one house the first day. I sold it the same day the add came out and the buyer paid $3000 CASH. Closing on the contract was 3 weeks later but I let them have the keys to fix up the property before then :slight_smile: Any how, next week I close out the note with a note buyer for an additional 7,000. Thanks for the phone call, out-of-towner.

(Longish) Newbie w/ questions … Re: $3000 with no money down - Posted by Andrea

Posted by Andrea on April 04, 2000 at 11:23:45:

Hello to all!

Total newbie here…

I found this list about a week before the convention and was SO bummed that I wasn’t able to attend (though as fast and furious as my thoughts have been flying with the info on this list and the site in general, I don’t know whether I would have really been able to ‘get’ what a person should from such an event… my brain is quite full as it is :slight_smile:

After doing my best to absorb every drop that I can, using up reams of paper in the process (like to be able to read ‘hard copy’ in bed) and doing some searchs for some of the simpler, more commonly asked questions and trying (at times in vain) to settle on one course of action and getting SUPER excited by nearly all of the approaches people take here (a few are WAY beyond my capicity to understand yet, but I’ll get there)… I FINALLY feel comfortable making a post.

And this post of Brian’s is the one I have to thank for that :slight_smile:

As I said, I’ve bounced around with various ideas… have contacted a realtor re. a handyman house that was listed (it was gonna need handy person with a crane and jacks to help it); she turned us on to a banker in the area with a foreclosure property (and supposedly more on the horizon) which we’re unsure of what to do with exactly; I’ve purchased Lonnie’s books and read through DOW, we’ve started to ‘notice’ and poke around in some of the local MH parks (and the classifieds) getting a feel for rents, pricing, etc…; made great strides (for me) with my financial understanding with CALCULATOR POWER (should that be in caps?), and so on…

And just when I thought I’d settled on Lonnie deals as a starting point, I read THIS POST… arrrgggghhhh!

So here is the part I get, and the parts I don’t that someone may feel like helping me to understand better:

SFH owner wants $30,000
Brian negotiates $25,000 @ 12% for 36mos
Interest only payments (equal to $136/mo? do I really know how to calculate this?!)
until the end of the 36 mo at which point
$25,000 is due.
Brian’s payments to begin in 45 days.

House is advertised (at $44,000?) and offer made an accepted for asking price w/$3,000 cash down payment.

Now, here’s where I get a little fuzzy … Brian, you create a note with your buyers, yes? Do you pay off the original seller right away?

The way I’m understanding this… there’s been $19,000 equity created (assuming the $44,000 selling price or was the house sold at a bargain price to move it quickly?)… is that what was sold for $7,000?

Isn’t this something that could have been a simultaneous closing or flipped… and Brian’s ability to create a note simply made it that much more profitable for his part?

One of the things that I am really unclear on is the mechanics and costs involved with closings … knowing me, I’ll learn it best by doing… but meanwhile, what should I be reading?

Thanks in advance for any and all input and congrats Brian on a happy ‘out-of-towner’ deal! BTW, what sort of grapevine lead this guy to you in the first place?

I am way jazzed!
Andrea

PS. Hope this doesn’t get posted twice, got bumped off the ISP …

Re: (Longish) Newbie w/ questions … Re: $3000 with no money down - Posted by Doug Pretorius

Posted by Doug Pretorius on April 04, 2000 at 14:06:42:

$25,000 * 12% = $3,000 / 12 = $250

$9,000 ($250 * 36) cashflow @ 17% yield = $7,000

(I neither express nor imply that the above numbers are accurate. This is for entertainment and/or informational purposes only.) :slight_smile:

Re: (Longish) Newbie w/ questions … Re: $3000 with no money down - Posted by Brian

Posted by Brian on April 04, 2000 at 11:50:59:

I sold the house for 39,500 for quick sale and the lure of instant equity for the buyer. My payments are actually about twice as much as you figured and the note buyer is buying with understanding of the underlying note structure I have. Many people say they hope their ship comes in one day, my philosophy is to swim out and tow it into shore myself.

Brian

But wait, it’s not Brian’s $250 cashflow to sell (nt) - Posted by Andrea

Posted by Andrea on April 04, 2000 at 14:19:43:

nt

Doug, thanks for the math lesson! :slight_smile: (nt) - Posted by Andrea

Posted by Andrea on April 04, 2000 at 14:15:33:

nt

Re: (Longish) Newbie w/ questions … Re: $3000 with no money down - Posted by Andrea

Posted by Andrea on April 04, 2000 at 14:11:07:

I think I understand about the ‘instant equity’ for the (home) buyer.

Clearly, I don’t know how to figure the interest only payments… oh wait, I see… I figured the full $25,000 amortized over three years and divided the interest into 36 equal payments and I’m guessing now that the 12% is paid on the full amount for the entire three years (duh) which would make it $3,000/year or $250/mo. Do I have it right now?

Andrea