$5 house - Posted by Harvey

Posted by george on April 20, 2006 at 19:18:11:

Thirty years ago, house moving was a big business. You rarely see it anymore. Here in Texas, moving a medium size, pier and beam house a few blocks is around $15k. More for distance, plus power line obstructions and permits.

Plus you have to have a lot. Then you have to have the plumbing hookups, etc. Is the house valuable enough to warrant this?

It makes me suspicious in that if there was more profit to be had, why would the owner be giving it away? Used lumber that old is not that valuable.

Could be a deal, I’m just suspicious, that’s all.

george

$5 house - Posted by Harvey

Posted by Harvey on April 20, 2006 at 16:44:46:

Hello,

I have found someone that is willing to give me their house for $5. They basically want the house removed so they can use the lot for parking. It is a huge old house probably 3000 square and built in the 40s. Is there anyone or organization that will come and remove this house and pay me for it. Maybe they can use the old wood to build a new house or whatever. Please let me know what you think, I don?t want this one to get away from me.

Thanks

Harvey

Re: $5 house - Posted by dealmaker

Posted by dealmaker on April 20, 2006 at 21:36:53:

Moving probably too expensive, I’m guessing the seller already checked that out. However, what about advertising for “vintage” fixtures, doors, doorknobs, moulding, copper pipes, windows, etc, etc.

There’s an “urban legend” about a guy that “got back” at a guy that owed him some money, or something. The guy advertised his enemy’s house parts and pieces for sale this way when he knew the guy was going to be out of town. Got quite a pile IIRC.

I know in many cities there are business that buy the “valuable” stuff whenever a place is going to be torn down. Not so much for the lumber as for the “vintage” parts and pieces.

Good luck.

dealmaker