50 Amp Fused Breaker Panel - Posted by Ted ND

Posted by GerryH VA on March 13, 2002 at 22:13:20:

I agree with Karl.

I just moved a 50 AMP MH and it was going to cost $600 to upgrade as the entire breaker box had to be moved as it was in the bathroom, an apparent no-no. As Karl points out, it probably has a gas/oil furnace. If you have a gas stove, you can then get a dryer in the MH. If it is electric, you will not be able to (within code) get an electric dryer in as well. This, by the way, is a big turnoff to potential buyers.

GerryH VA

50 Amp Fused Breaker Panel - Posted by Ted ND

Posted by Ted ND on March 09, 2002 at 18:41:24:

I am looking at a 70’s model MH with a 50 amp fused breaker panel. The guy paid $4200 for it and lived in it for a year but now he needs to have it moved because the sewer system underground doesn’t work right. I can buy it for about $800-1000 and move it to private land that I own which has sewer/water/electric hook-ups in place. It was a 3 bedroom house but he took out the dividing walls between two of the bedrooms and made it into a large office-workout room. My experience is: 3 bedroom homes are easier to sell or rent out than 2 bedroom houses.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with a similar beast? Is it worth the hassle?

Re: 50 Amp Fused Breaker Panel - Posted by lyal

Posted by lyal on March 09, 2002 at 21:21:00:

If you have a place to move a home I’m pretty sure you can find something much nicer and newer than this old relic. The older they are, the more surprises you have when you move them. I’d shoot for something mid 80’s or so. Your yield will be much higher.
All the best, Lyal

Re: 50 Amp Fused Breaker Panel - Posted by SandraS(NC)

Posted by SandraS(NC) on March 09, 2002 at 20:43:26:

With our experience,(my husband being an electrician) a hot water heater uses 30 amps, that leaves 20 amps for lights, stove, elec. furnace. Most people use 50 amps just in the kitchen. Typically an electrical stove and microwave pulls 25-30 amps.In the 70’s most people didn’t have microwaves or 1500 watt hairdryers, computers, viedo games or other electronics that require this type of power. I would pass on this deal unless given to me. Just my opinion.

Re: 50 Amp Fused Breaker Panel - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on March 09, 2002 at 23:13:04:

Is your question specific to the service panel only being 50 amps? A home that has a 50 amp box probably has a gas furnace, gas stove, and gas water heater. All the ones that I run into do. This isn?t necessarily a problem. But when you move a home, you have to run new electric to the home anyway. Its not that much more cost or effort to replace the service panel in the home, compared to the move. And you can use that as a selling point. Look, a new service panel! When I move these older homes, I routinely upgrade the old service panel to 100 amps. Lots of times they have the old screw in fuses, and need replaced anyway, to make the inspector happy.

Or are you asking if its worth messing with an older home altogether? If you?re moving a home to land, I?d look for something newer. Why waste a spot of private land on an old home, when you can get newer ones for the same price with a little more legwork? In other words, find one that needs to be moved.

Karl Kleiner