$69 Spend on more books or REIA membership? - Posted by Nick O

Posted by Michael Pine on October 03, 2003 at 22:01:04:

Nick,

If you really want to join areia, just get the latest conti and finkel book about forclosures and membership is free for 1 year.

Now you can get a book for $15-$20 and save the rest for your next course.

Best wishes,

Michael Pine
email: Michael_Pine@yahoo.com
AIM: Mortgagebroker71

$69 Spend on more books or REIA membership? - Posted by Nick O

Posted by Nick O on October 03, 2003 at 24:40:13:

If you had only $69 would it be more beneficial to spend it on more books on investing or a REIA membership?
Thanks!

Re: $69 Spend on more books or REIA membership? - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on October 03, 2003 at 10:33:06:

If I only had $69 extra money laying around, differentiating between books or clubs wouldn’t be my first priority. I’m not trying to put you down, I’ve been there myself, and it doesn’t seem all that long ago. To purchase my first real estate course, I took a couple hundred bucks I had in savings, and that wasn’t enough, so I grabbed my change jar and spent a day rolling pennies. There’s always something you can do, even with limited resources, but that’s a skinny budget. Rather than worrying about books or clubs, I would advise you to start shoring up your cash situation, and concentrate on that instead. Work 2 jobs, or whatever it takes. I did, and I suspect many others here did as well.

As far as education, I’d highly recommend checking out the public library - I use this resource liberally, even today, and it’s free. Don’t think it’s all dusty books from 1984 talking about getting rich on non-qualifying assumables, and syndicating partnerships. Though that is there, you’ll obviously want more recent resources that are available through Interlibrary Loan. Ask the librarian about this. Since you obviously have Internet access, you can follow the same process I do. Go onto Amazon, search for books on the subject matter you’re looking for, (real estate or otherwise), then either write them down, or go to your local library’s website, if you’re fortunate enough to have that in your municipality. In my area, we’re lucky enough to be able to request books right on line, and even specify the branch to pick them up at. I can get access to almost any book, within a week, for free. If I like it I buy it, if not - back it goes. It’s always mind-boggling to me that more people don’t take advantage of this tremendous resource. I shouldn’t complain though, since it’s probably better for me that they don’t.

Re: $69 Spend on more books or REIA membership? - Posted by Heather -Tx

Posted by Heather -Tx on October 03, 2003 at 07:08:14:

I don’t know how much your local investment club dues run, but you might want to check and see if they have a “Library” that members can check out and borrow courses and books. I know alot of clubs have these. If yours does, and is under that price… you could have the best of both :slight_smile:

Just a thought,
Heather_Tx
Heather Zaal

Re: Some feedback on REIA membership? - Posted by Nick O

Posted by Nick O on October 03, 2003 at 17:32:16:

Sorry if the wording in my post might have mislead you. I don’t just have $69 but I wanted to know how good the REIA Membership is on americanreia.com. I own a small business and my budget is limited to what I can spend on REI education because most of my cash is tied up right now in my other business. Hopefully I can land a few deals to increase my REI budget and make this a full time career soon. Right now I just want to know which form of education is going to get the highest return on my investment. Thanks for the feedback!
Nick O