8+ bedroom home wanting to use for group home - Posted by bev

Posted by JT-IN on May 12, 2007 at 19:19:44:

Bev:

The idea of selling the property for a group home is a great one, IMO. The idea of continuing to live there (and not run the group home), while the home is occupied with others doesn’t seem so feasible to me.

The financial dynamics of most group homes are that the funding agency who pays the mgmt for caring for the residents is usually a taxing authority. (County, State or Fed’l funded Agency). There is so much red tape and bureaucracy involved in this funding and requirement of the structure, that will present problems for this arrangement. Again, just my thoughts here.

The other dilemma for you is that it is zoned as a single family, and any group home certainly violates that type of use code. Any complaints and the idea is history. Also back to the funding source, they will likely want to verify that the use code is correct to begin with, as they have seen this type of thing before. The last thing they want to do is to fund a home, then have to evacuate the residents due to the zoning issue.

Wish I had better news on the subject, but about all I can manage to do here is to throw darts at the bullseye, it seems. Your best bet may be just outright selling or leasing it as a group home if you can obtain proper zoning. Otherwise, you need the 2nd coming of the Brady Bunch who is looking for that kind of space. With costs today, I can’t imagine that there are many who fit the bill. Good luck on it.

JT-IN

8+ bedroom home wanting to use for group home - Posted by bev

Posted by bev on May 12, 2007 at 11:51:01:

we have an 8+ bedroom home which is slowly becoming an empty nest and want to somehow use it for a group home without us having to move out right away. we have alot of stuff to move and not alot of money to buy another home. we can possibly add another home or two to the property but zoning is single family even though their is already two homes on the property. we had a mother in law suite ok’d by the county cause it was attached as a single family home. I would like to rent out the rooms and add to the home if possible to get more rooms available. I do not want to run the group home, just rent out the space. any suggestions?

Re: 8+ bedroom home wanting to use for group home - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on May 13, 2007 at 10:38:53:

local laws and reg vary. some places here have tried to regulate out group homes and student housing both by outlawing more than 3 unrelated parties in SF zoning. There have been some court cases on this claiming violations under ADA and discrimination.

Many communities are concerned that a certain group home may later be converted to another type of group home including halfway houses for criminals, and alcohol and drug users.