800 #s a better way to go? - Posted by Trout

Posted by John J. on April 08, 1999 at 24:08:48:

I get several calls per month on my 800# from people who dial the wrong number - so they are on my nickel. I don’t advertise the number, but give it to my tenants in houses out of town, as a customer service and so they won’t have an excuse not to call me. I don’t think that people who want to sell their house would mind paying for a long distance call. I found a cell phone to be a much better investment. I advertise my home-office number, but forward my calls to the cell phone when I am on the road. It is important that people can get through to you on their first try. Many people won’t leave a voice mail or try to call back a second time - 800# or not - they’ll just call the next person.

John J.

800 #s a better way to go? - Posted by Trout

Posted by Trout on April 07, 1999 at 23:45:19:

I was wondering what others thought about using an 800 number for business use, even if most of your calls come from within the local billing area. I am trying to make it as easy as possible for potential sellers to get in touch with me, and I wanted to know what type of success others has had with them. Thanks!

Answering service might be better still. - Posted by Michael Murray

Posted by Michael Murray on April 09, 1999 at 12:18:45:

A nation-wide answering service can provide the toll-free number, pre-screen applicants, provide recorded message, FAX hard copies to you, no missed calls, 24 hrs/day, etc. Look at this web site, http://www.ncinter.net/~pcms/ or simply use your favorite search engine and search for “Answering Service”
Michael Murray