A bad day off researching tax liens is better than a good day at work! - Posted by PatrickMD

Posted by PatrickMD on April 22, 2000 at 10:21:49:

Imatation is the greatest form of flattery, no?

A bad day off researching tax liens is better than a good day at work! - Posted by PatrickMD

Posted by PatrickMD on April 21, 2000 at 08:50:49:

I need the advice of the experienced. We’re interested in the tax liens and flipping contracts. My wife and I are still working full time, so I have to take time off work to visit the tax offices. (Can you imagine the nerve of my employer actually expecting me to SHOW UP to earn my salary?) The tax office hours are from 9-5, closed every holiday that I’m off. They (Adams and York Counties, south central PA) aren’t online yet. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining. I understand it’s an investment in time, and I have plenty of annual leave saved up. I just wondered how the rest of the investment community handle it. Any creative real estate online-type ideas in mind to solve the time conflict dilemma?

A timely quote for Good Friday, “Jesus consorted with the lowest of the low, pimps, prostitutes and tax collectors”, YOU have the option of online research! - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on April 21, 2000 at 11:48:08:

(That is a true biblical quote by the way, however they forgot to include township attorneys!, but I digress)I have been buying liens on a large scale for five years and do next to NOTHING in the tax office. Some collectors are ok but most are so incompetent and/or uncooperative that I try to circumvent them at all costs.There are a few online services which can provide all your tax assessment data, others will provide your federal lien and bankruptcy searches, etc. First American Real Estate Services (formerly TRW)is probably the most widely used. Dataquick I believe is another one. superiorinfo.com is another.I don’t know how to get to FARES because I use currentstatus.com but they may be only for NJ. I am sure someone else can steer you to their site. There are links to some at taxsales.com and ax.com. Hope this helps!

Re: A timely quote for Good Friday, “Jesus consorted with the lowest of the low, pimps, prostitutes and tax collectors”, YOU have the option of online research! - Posted by PatrickMD

Posted by PatrickMD on April 22, 2000 at 10:14:38:

Ben, Thanks a million for the info. It was just what I was looking for. I’ll only consort online from now on. Pat.

Re: A timely quote for Good Friday, “Jesus consorted with the lowest of the low, pimps, prostitutes and tax collectors”, YOU have the option of online research! - Posted by Tuan Pham

Posted by Tuan Pham on April 21, 2000 at 13:05:16:

Hi Ben,
Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to answer the same questions about tax liens over and over. Taxsales.com must love you. Just a quick question: Are you doing this full time now, and if so how long did it take you to make enough money to go full time. Do you suggest going into tax liens for the investment or the property or both.

Thanks in advance,

Tuan Pham

I know, sometimes I sound like a broken record…(long) - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on April 21, 2000 at 14:47:11:

(didn’t someone once suggest a FAQ section?) anyway, I enjoy discussing tax liens and my wife doesn’t want to hear it anymore so you guys are all I have. Also, in case your wondering I have no formal affiliation with taxsales.com, I just think Roy (the moderator) is a very sharp guy who has some great money-making angles. At one time I practiced several different areas of law, all loosely dealing with creditor’s rights, collections, defaulted paper, tax liens and foreclosures, (all on my own behalf, not on behalf of clients) After awhile, I realized the liens were the least risky, the most lucrative and the most interesting, so I abandoned everything else and focused on them full-time. An interesting side note, I was once at a very competitive tax sale filled with newbies bidding down the rates. When one of the regulars grumbled to another regular about where all these new people came from, he looked at me and said “Ben’s probably been on the internet again!” I cracked up, I didn’t even realize that some of my competitors were “spying” on me but I guess it doesn’t surprise me.