A bit of bit advice needed. - Posted by Max M.

Posted by Brent_IL on September 23, 2003 at 08:12:52:

I don’t keep track of my posts, but if I disagreed with you, I’m pretty sure it was about a real estate topic. Since I don’t know much about tools, I wouldn’t question your expertise with drill bits.

A bit of bit advice needed. - Posted by Max M.

Posted by Max M. on September 22, 2003 at 05:36:10:

Twice in the past month I’ve had to go in and fix a bathtub drain. They were the type with a a drain control lever on the overflow plate. These are often a pain and I like to rplace them with the simpler press on/off drain. The problem is that in order to do this, one needs to remove the overflow plate/lever. Both times the bolts that secure the plate broke off.

I couldn’t get a good vice grip hold on 2 of them and ended up trying to use a bolt extractor, one worked, the other one didn’t because the extractor also snapped off. To remedy this I decided to grind it smooth, with a Dremel, and then tap a new bolt hole.

The next problem was that extractors are made of pretty strong steel and none of my drill bits could get into it. Eventually I managed to use another Dremel bit trough the material, and then followed it with a larger bit and tap.

I had to go through 2 Dremel bits, the type with the round diamond cutting head, to do this, and those are expensive buts at $12@.

Should this happen again, I’d like to jump past the Dremel step and get right to using a drill bit. In fact there are many times when I’d like to have a stronger drill bit available.

So my question is: Where can I get the absolutely strongest, toughest, longest lasting drill bits? I don?t mind paying good money for the best tools, so cost shouldn?t be a major concern.

Any ideas?

Re: A bit of bit advice needed. - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on September 22, 2003 at 23:48:59:

Max,

The toughest Drill bits commonly avaiable are silicon carbide drill bits which are used primarily to drill fiberglass composites. The bits are made from silicon carbide crystals blanks and fluted with diamond cutting tools. Purchasing a single .125" straight shank bit would most like run you $25. The major manufacturers and distributors will not sell you less than 100 at a time, so you might want to do a web search for “silicon carbide drill bits” to find a small specialty company. I think the dremel tool was your best choice. The extractor tool was most likely A1,D2 or D7 tool steel. These are extremely hard to drill without a drill press, even with carbide bits. The Titanium Nitride coated bits are justed coated, their coating will melt drilling tool steel in less than a minute. But then what do I know, according BrentIL and JimFL I am just a burger flipper at McDonalds that gets a feeling of self importance from taking their illegal “i buy houses” Sleaze Ball Signs.

Titanium Bits - Posted by Ken(NJ)

Posted by Ken(NJ) on September 22, 2003 at 13:39:07:

I have found the best bits for wood and metal are titanium bits. They will go through just about anything, and are readily available at Lowes or the Depot.

Ken (NJ)

Re: A bit of bit advice needed. - Posted by art c

Posted by art c on September 22, 2003 at 13:30:41:

Go to a hardware store and buy a cobalt bit. It is the type that will cut stainless steel. It will cut steel fairly easily.
If you have a tough bolt seized in threads. A propane plumbers torch with a small soldering type tip can heat up the area surrounding area ( not the sheared off bolt) , thereby loosening it pretty fast.
Prior to attempting this you would want to soak ( with a windex bottle with water ) the area throughly, and have a pail or two of water standing by. So you don’t burn the house down.
I t’s easier than it sounds , if you are careful & handy.
The safest way is to have a well briefed helper standing by with the spray bottle of water watching , spraying , assisitng. So that you do not need to take your hands off an ignited torch

I use a plumber - Posted by randyOH

Posted by randyOH on September 22, 2003 at 12:15:55:

Max,
That’s the kind of job I let my plumber do. I don’t even try to replace a sink fixture myself. I think it is money well spent to let plumbers do these nasty little jobs.

Of course, you have to find a plumber that is reasonable with his fees. I have had plumbers charge me $300 per hour. You gotta stay away from those guys.

But the ones that charge $50 or $60 per hour are well worth the money to me. Of course, a good handyman can do some of these things too for maybe $15 to $20 per hour. But, for the kind of thing you are talking about, I would call the plumber.

Something to think about.
Randy

Re: A bit of bit advice needed. - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on September 22, 2003 at 11:15:31:

Max M----------------

Maybe at the flea market? That is where I get my bits that the vendors say are extremely tough. They are bits for the aerospace industry. I guess they have to work on hard metals in airplanes and space craft.

Good InvestingRon Starr**