A Christmas Story - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Lisa in Oz on December 24, 1999 at 23:18:23:

Merry Christmas and may God bless you and your family.

Lisa Charles
Brisbane, Australia

A Christmas Story - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on December 24, 1999 at 20:39:12:

A Christmas Story:

I was going through my Christmas archives, when I came across these two letters.

As I read them, I remembered the moment as though it were yesterday.

The first letter, was a letter written by my little girl, named Nicole.
It was a letter she had written several years ago to Santa Claus. At the time she had
asked me, if I would please put a stamp on it and mail it to Santa for her.

I remember how my little girl looked at me with loving trust, that would make sure that
this letter reached it’s destination.

I know that I shouldn’t have breached my daughters trust, but I couldn’t resist opening
this letter to view the importance of it’s contents.

The letter read as follows:

Dear Santa:
I have been trying to be good. What I want for Christmas is a radio. I would also like to
have something in my stocking. I believe in you Santa.

Love,

Nicole

P.S. I will have milk and cookies out for you.

At first I was surprised that with all of the positions my daughters have, including expensive
Show horses, all she was asking for was a radio.

That also shows you that it’s not just the value of the gift, but the gift it’s self, that has value.

I also realized, that she still believed in Santa Claus.

Two weeks later my daughter received this letter:

Dear Nicole,
Thank you for your wonderful letter, I can see you are like most children; that when
they are good they want to be rewarded at Christmas time, and that’s OK; but I hope
you’re good because it is the right way to be.

I was a little surprised that the main thing you want for Christmas is a radio. Just
for the record I know your Mother and Father take very good care of you and you are a
very good little girl. I shouldn’t have any problem with your request.

You know Nicole, I’m so very busy this time of year, I can’t write all the children back
who write me. But every year I choose one to write back to, and this year you are the one.

What made you so special to me, was that you wrote in your letter that you believe in me.

Thank you Nicole, that made me feel real good.
You see, not everyone believes in me. Most people see me as a chubby old man with a white
beard and a red suit who runs around passing out gifts to children. And that is true, I am, and
do pass out gifts to children. But I am more than that. I am a spirit, a spirit of giving, caring,
and loving. I know what a wonderful feeling it is to share with others.
If I can teach this to children like you, then you have received my most precious gift.

As the years go by Nicole, you will no longer believe in me like children do, and that’s OK.
For you see, I’m here for the little people.

There is one thing I don’t want you ever to forget, and that is my spirit of giving, caring, and loving,
because that’s what it’s all about.

Merry Christmas Nicole,

Love

Santa Claus

Who say’s we can’t believe in Santa Claus?

Merry Christmas,

Ed Garcia

Re: A Christmas Story - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on December 26, 1999 at 19:38:30:

Ed,
As usual, you blew me out of the water.
Taking on our baby grandson to raise has given us new perspective on a lot of things - and has reminded us of some of the fundamental things in life:

• we all want and deserve to be loved and nurtured
  • the better we love and nurture, the better chance the object of that love and nurturing has to learn to do the same
  • it’s never too late to get better at it.

May we all keep the spirit of Christmas in our hearts all year.

Love you,
Carol