A New Codes Officer In Town... - Posted by Johnny

Posted by Jim IL on April 17, 1999 at 13:40:34:

That means the “Freedom of Information Act.”
Just goto your City or village hall and request to see the ordinance book, or codes book. You, as a citizen have the right to see any and all records, laws and other information available. since the “codes officer” was referring to such codes, they must exist. (or he/she was wrong)
You may try to simply go and ask for the pertinent code information first. In my town, all I have to do is go talk to the nice ladies at the village hall, and they find the book and let me read it. When I find what I’m looking for, if I want a copy, they xerox it for me, and I pay $.05/page.
simple.
but, if they are relectunt for whatever reason, you can file a F.O.I.A request and they HAVE to give you the info.
Just be nice, and proffesional, and I’m sure they will be helpful. Also, maybe talk the Codes Dept. or head officer, since this was an assistant you talked to at the park. Just tell them that you want to make sure your park complies and to maintain a good relationship with the city.
Once they hear these words, they are usually more receptive.

Good luck,
I hope this helps,
Jim

P.S. If there are codes that need to be followed, do that. but, if they seem outrageous to you, you can also file with the city and ask for a “Variance” or whatever. Remember that everything is negotiable to a point.

A New Codes Officer In Town… - Posted by Johnny

Posted by Johnny on April 17, 1999 at 12:38:58:

I would like to know where I can research the local building codes law. Our town is behind time with the zoning and codes. We recently bought a small mobile home park which has been in operation for 40 years.

I have been working with the local codes officer and the DOH on correcting some minor violations. Last week our building crew was here in our sales lot conducting some re-hab work on four pre-owned homes.

I was approached by a new assistant codes man who stated that there were no building permits issued for this work and that he could order a “Stop Work Order” until we comply with the local codes.

I mention to this codes officer that the work being conducted would fall under our normal business being a mobile home park & sales… commerical enterprise. He then handed me 4 applications for the permits and said he would need a total of $140.00 for the new roof of these homes.

The point here is not the $140.00 fee for the permits, but the fact that how can he tell me what I need for conducting business here at our park, without researching this information and then providing me with a copy of this code.

How would I go about researching this information on what codes our park would fall under, or what would be “Grandfathered” in here without stirring up a bees nest.

Thanks…