a quality roof at a low price - Posted by tony b columbus ohio

Posted by tony b columbus ohio on October 18, 2003 at 09:24:33:

friend, sorry for the confusion. The roof in question is 29 3/4 square or about 3000 sqft. I guess I should have said squares vs sqft.

thanks
tony

a quality roof at a low price - Posted by tony b columbus ohio

Posted by tony b columbus ohio on October 14, 2003 at 10:53:42:

Is is possible to get a quality roof at a low price? I get two quotes on the same property $7900 and one $3700 for reroofin a 2000 sqft house with 30 year asphalt shingles.

company A says $3700 30 year, tear off replace
compnay B says drip edge, deluxe felt, water barrier, ridge venting, 30 year shingle and 12 year full warranty for $7900.

How can i estimate what a fair price is for tear off and replacement of an asphalt roof?

What can I do? How do you get a fair price?

Regards,
Tony

Re: a quality roof at a low price - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on October 17, 2003 at 20:47:39:

Well around here, if you are paying over $200 a square you are being had… now there are generals who will easily double that, and there are people who can even under cut it… but by and large 200 a square is a fair price here, that include removal, and hauling of old shingles… wood replacement is usually a per cost addition, since it can vary.

Now there are exceptions as well, a VERY HIGH PITCH roof, say a cape cod, vs a ranch will likely be higher as labor is more intensive and takes longer to get gone.

But $200 a square or less would be my estimate and frankly I wouldn’t pay over that to get work done… also beware the too cheap… its really easy to not use the manufacturers required 7 nails per shingle to cut costs and the buyer be none the wiser until some really bad weather comes along and their new roof is all over someone elses lawn.

Re: a quality roof at a low price - Posted by Heather -Tx

Posted by Heather -Tx on October 17, 2003 at 18:51:46:

Got the 2nd bid today… was $1,950.

Thats for full tear off
Fixing whatever needs to be fixed to get the buckles out
Replacing any decking that needs it
Reshingling & Felt Drip edge ect
Clean up After

So far this is my best price, and he was referred to us by another investor… I’ll probably be giving him a try.

Heather

Re: a quality roof at a low price - Posted by JM-OH

Posted by JM-OH on October 15, 2003 at 10:22:48:

I think a lot has to do with the contractors you are using. If your using Able, Feasel, etc. these guys are charging retail price, you want someone that provides investor pricing. Check the Columbus REIA website/flyer there are vendors listed that can give you decent pricing. My last roof replacement cost me $2900 for a 1200 sq ft home or 17 square, that’s about $170 per sq, but that includes dimensional shingles and others items that I don’t normally do. I’ve heard of investors getting it done for $130 square, but I’ve yet to find a contractor willing to do it that cheap.

Best of luck.

Re: a quality roof at a low price - Posted by chris-atl

Posted by chris-atl on October 15, 2003 at 06:27:28:

I haven’t enough rehabs yet to verify if this works, but I’ve heard that a “rul of thumb” for roofing cost is 1.5 times the square footage of the house. That doesn’t take into account very complex roof lines and very steep ones. But I think it gives a good general estimate assuming one layer of tear-off. So for a 2,000 SF house you could expect around $3,000 for a new roof.

Re: a quality roof at a low price - Posted by ken

Posted by ken on October 14, 2003 at 21:30:02:

My experience is that if the owner of the company is doing the work the job is usually quite a bit cheaper. They are often happy to make a days wages where a company with offices,secretary etc needs to cover these expenses.

Posted by Heather -Tx on October 14, 2003 at 20:05:28:

I just called out 2 roofers for bids yesterday on my rehab and calling one more tomorrow. One faxed back his bid tonight of $2385. This homes roof was fine until I had the foundation leveled, but that caused 3 different Ripples or buckles in the roof. (Too bad to… the roof is only a couple years old)

This included,
Complete Tear off
Replace decking as needed
Resecuring Plywood that shifted
Rebracing as needed, because of the shift from the foundation
Refelt
Reshingle
3 tab 20 yr Rustic colored shingles
Clean up and haul off

I am in Houston Texas, so your milage may vary. Hope this Helps, will post the other bids when I get them as a comparison.

Heather Zaal

More info please - Posted by Ken (NJ)

Posted by Ken (NJ) on October 14, 2003 at 12:41:44:

You do not say how big the roof is, and if the first contractor includes the drip edge and other stuff. If you knew the area, we could calculate the price per square foot and you would get better feedback.

I would say in my rehabbing experience that 100% price differences are common, and the more expensive guy is not necessarily the right pick.

I would get some more estimates, but on my spec. In other words, when I meet the contractor, I provide them with a specification of what the requirements are for the job. If everyone has the same specs, comparing the costs should be simple. The high points of the spec could include:

Contractor will -
Provide a liability insurance certificate naming owner as an additional insured with 1 million in coverage.
Provide a valid insurance certificate for workman’s compensation.
Rip the existing shingle roof(s) and remove same from the premises
Clean the grounds of all construction debris
Repair any bad decking at a rate of $__ per 4x8 sheet
Install new ice and water shield around the perimeter of the roof.
Install new 15# felt
Install new aluminum drip edge
Install new chimney flashing
Install new flashings where necessary
Install new 30 year Timberline roof in _____ color
Each day, Contractor shall rip only that amount of roofing which can be replaced in 1 day. Contractor shall provide a temporary tie-in between the old and new roof at th end of the day, if necessary.

Terms of payment - negotiate these, and try to keep even with the work. Three 33% payments are typical, 1/3 at start (including the insurance certificate), 1/3 at halfway and 1/3 upon passing the township inspection.

Make sure you get a permit, too. It is a very visible project, and an inspector passing by can red flag the job!

Ken (NJ)

Re: a quality roof at a low price - Posted by Jeff

Posted by Jeff on October 14, 2003 at 12:05:55:

Tony,
You want drip edge, need the ice and water barrier, and need the ridge vent (along with soffit vent though)
As for cost, is the contractor and employees fully insured???
Here in NJ 7900 might be a little high but with ridge and soffit venting and a full 12 year warr. (in writing of course) it may be in the ball park

Posted by Heather -Tx on October 17, 2003 at 18:53:37:

FOrgot to add the house is almost 2000 sq ft

Also getting roofing estmates - Posted by S.B.Wells

Posted by S.B.Wells on October 14, 2003 at 16:57:24:

I am a new investor and I really appreciate the advice in your posting. I am in the process of getting estimates on a roof of approximately 2000 sq ft requiring a “rip-off” of two layers of shingle. The roof has a number of peaks and a moderately steep pitch. I have received estimates ranging from $4,500 to $8,000 for a 30-yr roof.

I am curious what your estimate would be for a roof this size. The house is located on Long Island, N.Y.

Thanks for your help.

S.B. Wells (NY)

more info here - Posted by tony b in columbus ohio

Posted by tony b in columbus ohio on October 14, 2003 at 15:05:56:

Ken, I think i understand. The answer is perhaps an average cost per square foot. If i have a 3000sqft roof and the quote is 10000 for reroof with all the add-ons. then i pay $3.33/sqft. I guess the question is then am i paying too much per sqft? This is a respected company, highly rated, and in business a long time. they will do a fine job, but seem pricy.

What do you think?

Re: a quality roof at a low price - Posted by tony b columbus ohio

Posted by tony b columbus ohio on October 14, 2003 at 15:13:43:

jeff, how do you know i need drip edge and ridge venting, etc?

The contractor says i need ice and water barrier on the eaves, rakes, valleys, skylight,protrusions?

I am starting to feel like roofing is a con.

Last house i had, i put a 6k roof with all the features and 40 year GAF Slateline. I found out 6 mo after i sold it the roof leaked. I used a GAF certified installer, GAF CO inspected the roof and i had an independant inspector. Still leaked. So, why spend 2k more on this nonsense? Will the roof last longer??? will i get 15 years of life out of the roof instead of 12? Is that difference worth the extra costs?

Regards,
Tony

Re: more info here - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on October 17, 2003 at 20:53:03:

Tony, forget square ft of the house… unless its a one story, roofs are done by square… that’s how contractors bid them and thats how they think about them… a square is 100 square feet of roof… (Vinyl siding is the same per square)

So if you are talking about a single story house low pitch (ranch home), your square feet could be a good estimate toward your roof size… but when you get into multi stories, and gables and all that fun stuff, total square feet of house isn’t as simple and clear cut a relationship.

Easiest way is ask the contractor how many square he’s estimating… divide his price by that and you get the per square he’s charging you. Also don’t get suckered by them charging you an arm and leg for ridge vents or other add ons… they are made of plastic and cost Next to nothing to buy and install… but roofer will have no problem adding on an additional $500 or more for 20-40’ of ridge vent if you don’t know any better.