A tough one: waterproofing signs - Posted by Russ Sims (WA)

Posted by Berwyn on December 30, 1998 at 12:43:15:

Finally, something I have experience with.

Depends first of all what your sign is made of. I had a "FOR RENT’ sign with a masonite base that lasted over a year. If you’re using posterboard, you basically have to find some way of sealing it in plastic. The artists spray on stuff is only protectin from smudges, not from raindrops.
If the sign is small enough, you could have it laminated at a local copy shop. I’ve also had some success with the wide clear packing tape, you put down several strips, overlapping slightly (with the lap on the down side, like clapboard siding. Just don’t punch any holes in the plastic without sealing them well.
We’ve had laminated cardboard tags hanging on used bikes thru a couple months of summer storms, and the only place there was h2o damage is where the hole was punched for the hanger tie. Sun fading, however, is a problem we never conquered.

If your info doesn’t change much, it may be worth looking into a professionally made sign. I had a “For Rent” sign made, both sides with a metal stand (just like the relters use) for only about $75. Those new sign making machines really cut production time, hence better designs for less money.

Berwyn
(18 years in retail taught me somethin’ after all)

A tough one: waterproofing signs - Posted by Russ Sims (WA)

Posted by Russ Sims (WA) on December 30, 1998 at 11:28:56:

Calling all sign posters: Can you share any wisdom regarding waterproofing hand made signs? It’s really a small problem but oh, so dog-gone irritating…
Thanks in advance!
Russ

Re: A tough one: waterproofing signs - Posted by Tom Brown

Posted by Tom Brown on December 30, 1998 at 14:41:11:

If you are talking about wooden signs, how about Thompson’s waterproofer or something similar?