Abandoned Home - Posted by CJ

Posted by Heidi W on April 06, 2002 at 19:27:49:

If you don’t have time to go to the courthouse - you can call your title company and ask for a ‘property profile’ on that address. They can usually fax it to you for free within a few hours.

Get’s you started quick, (once Monday rolls around)

Good Luck,

Heidi

Abandoned Home - Posted by CJ

Posted by CJ on April 06, 2002 at 04:08:53:

There is a home in my neighborhood that has been abandoned for some time now. I would like to find out who owns it and possibly purchase it, spruce it up and sell it. What is my first step and where do I go to find the current owner?

Re: Abandoned Home - Posted by Lubben@sympatico.ca

Posted by Lubben@sympatico.ca on April 06, 2002 at 06:45:02:

Is there a name on the outside of the building, or a notice taped to the front door? If not, here is how to find out who owns it.

Take the street address and ask the tax people about it. They can tell you the owner’s name, and many interesting facts. Be sure to ask for the legal description or legal address. This will be different than the street address. It will be something like Block 34 Plan 17.

With the legal address you can go to the courthouse or registry office, and look up all the deeds, mortgages, etc. You can also check there if the owner’s estate is in probate i.e. they died and the executor is in charge of the property.

Sometimes you can find out what happened to someone by asking the neighbors.