abandoned house..... - Posted by mikePA

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on August 21, 2003 at 10:45:56:

Mike–¶-------

"… he had already slammed the door in our face… . " I don’t talk to a lot of owners trying to buy property. However, I would judge that your rapport with this property owner was not on the high side.

Either you need somebody else to talk to him, someone with excellent people skills, or you need to forget him. Hmmm. Have you done the research I mentioned in the county land records and court? That may clarify things. You might try writing a letter also.

Good InvestingRon Starr*****

abandoned house… - Posted by mikePA

Posted by mikePA on August 20, 2003 at 09:03:05:

We found an abandonend house…we also located the owner (husband), BUT, when we attempted to tell them we wanted to buy it, they adamantly said they don’t own it and want nothing to do with it…
property is going up for tax sale next month and they are the owners on record…
from what i can tell, the owners are divorced, at this point we are trying to contact the wife…any advice on how to work this??? or will we be forced to wait till the tax sale and try to get it then???

Re: abandoned house… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on August 20, 2003 at 10:34:24:

no, find wife before tax sale and get a quit claim deed from both husband and wife. unless there is a document of record extinquishing either’s interest.
Where are you in Pa?

David Krulac

Re: abandoned house… - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on August 20, 2003 at 09:50:50:

Mike–¶------------

Well, don’t keep us on baited breath. What was the explanation of the owner you have already talked to? Why did he feel he was not a property owner anymore?

If you did not find out the whole story, you need to go back to him and do so. Or have somebody else do so if you did not establish a good rapport when you talked to him.

The most likely explanation is that there was/is a loan against the property and there was a foreclosure action. If this is so, it is possible that the deed to the lender, or other purchaser at the foreclosure auction, has not yet recorded the deed. You could check for a foreclosure action against the owners. I believe PA is a judicial foreclosure state, so you would look for a lis pendens in the name of the “owners” filed in the county courthouse.

Good InvestingRon Starr*****

Re: abandoned house… - Posted by mikePA

Posted by mikePA on August 21, 2003 at 07:03:43:

unfortunately the part at which he told us he doesn’t own it was actually yelled through the window as he had already slammed the door in our face at that point…

mikePA