Abandoned Property (Who is owner???) - Posted by Scott M. Brown

Posted by george on June 11, 2000 at 14:26:37:

“For about $50 we can find most people. Dead, alive, in prison, or out of the country.”

Please say more!

Abandoned Property (Who is owner???) - Posted by Scott M. Brown

Posted by Scott M. Brown on June 10, 2000 at 16:52:58:

I know of an abondoned property. I have the tax records on CD ROM from my title company. The property is not on the tax records and I don’t wan’t to pay for a title search at this tentative stage. Does anyone have any creative ideas for finding the owner quickly and cheaply?

Re: Abandoned Property (Who is owner???) - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on June 11, 2000 at 22:26:39:

Did you look at the articles on this site? Try here.

http://www.creonline.com/articl79.htm

Joe

Couple of suggestions - Posted by AL

Posted by AL on June 11, 2000 at 22:25:51:

The property has to be on the tax records. I would suggest going to the county courthouse (tax auditor section) and look the address up in the paper files. The CD ROM is only as good as the people who input the data.

There should be a property transfer card in the same file, it should show the chain of ownership from the time the property was built.

Also, on the card will most likely be a lender that was involved in financing of the property at one time or other. Contact the lender, see if the property was paid off, and the owner moved, or died, etc.

Asking the neighbors is a really good suggestion from William. If you can find out who owned it, you might be able to narrow down what state they are in. Then go to: www.anywho.com and do a search for them.

You might also do a search on www.anywho.com for the same address using a reverse lookup. This will list all properties on the street, and you will be able to get neighbor phone numbers, and this address might possibly pop up. Once you have a phone number you might be able to find where the people went that owned it.

If the property is truely abandoned, I know that my brother as a city nuisance inspector, sends the owner notice of the cities intent to mow the lawn and charge the owner with the cost of mowing, if the yard is overgrown. (small city). You might contact the city engineer’s office and ask for the nuisance inspector and find out if there were any reports against the property.

Hope some of this helps.

I might be able to think of more, but tired tonight.

:O)

Re: Abandoned Property (Who is owner???) - Posted by cordero

Posted by cordero on June 11, 2000 at 14:15:35:

I have found several properties like that. It takes some detective work to find out who the owners are. My biggest roadblock is contacting them. They aren’t listed in the phone book, no one knows where they are, no forwarding address, some are in jail, some moved out of state and no one knows where they are, others are in a messed up estate with relatives scattered abroad. Ultimately i have spent the past four months trying to find or contact people on 23 properties. Nothing yet. There has got to be a better way. Some people here have said they won’t even mess with those kind of properties anymore. I see a lot of oportunity with them, I just wish I knew how to do it better.

Re: Abandoned Property (Who is owner???) - Posted by Ben(OH)

Posted by Ben(OH) on June 11, 2000 at 06:13:10:

For about $50 we can find most people. Dead, alive, in prison, or out of the country.

Re: Abandoned Property (Who is owner???) - Posted by george

Posted by george on June 10, 2000 at 17:41:57:

1. finding the owner quickly and cheaply?

Go to the registrar for your county and look up the actual deed. This will get the owners name, actually contacting the owner is a whole other bowl of spaghetti.

1. I know of an abondoned property

Just one? You must not be trying very hard!

Have you tried asking the neighbors? (nt) - Posted by WilliamGA

Posted by WilliamGA on June 10, 2000 at 17:35:59:

Re: Abandoned Property (Who is owner???) - Posted by george

Posted by george on June 11, 2000 at 14:27:31:

Are taxes being paid by someone?