abandoned school (Atlanta,GA) - Posted by Stephen Ford

Posted by michaela-ATL on May 06, 2004 at 15:53:58:

Stephen,
Not that I have any experience with schools, but this is how I would go about it:
I’d go to the GA REIA office and check in the computer who the owner of record is. ALso, how long ago they’ve purchased and for how much.

Also, check with the neighbors and find out what kind fo school it was: elementary, high school, middle school and then find out what is the corresponding school for the neighborhood presently. Check with that school in regards to ownership. Take it from there.

Michaela

abandoned school (Atlanta,GA) - Posted by Stephen Ford

Posted by Stephen Ford on May 06, 2004 at 08:36:06:

I’ve got an old abandoned school near my area that is a haven for the homeless. How would I be able to begin the process of getting this building for converting to lofts or possibly affordable housing (I’m still a newbie that would hand it over to some other developer after starting the process). I say possible affordable housing because the area’s home owner’s assosition has gone out of their way to block any new, higher priced homes or buildings coming into the area.

Thanks,
Stephen

Re: abandoned school (Atlanta,GA) - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on May 06, 2004 at 12:26:05:

Stephen,
are you sure this building isn’t already earmarked for developement? I can’t imagine any abandoned school building wthin the city of atlanta, that ahsn’t been looked at for loft living. Pittsburgh, mechanicsville, east atlanta, east point etc. I hope you got a great deal, but make sure it’s not already under cotnract before you spend a lot of time on it. (one of the signs is, that there’s a relatively new fence around the perimeter - or one of those ‘rent-a-fence’)

Michaela

Re: abandoned school (Atlanta,GA) - Posted by Matt ( Mi )

Posted by Matt ( Mi ) on May 06, 2004 at 09:26:47:

You might talk to a local assisted living facility or nursing home to find out if they are looking for a new location. If you have someone, don’t give away the location, unless you have it under contract. But old schools are usually a great resource because of being primarily on one floor, handicap accessible and rooms already available.

Put in a low-ball offer to get it under contract, then work out a flip to the nursing home, or funeral parlor, or whomever might be interested. It may take a lot of work and be sure to check zoning with the local municipality. But, if it’s vacant, the city or twp. would like, I’m sure, to begin getting larger tax revenues by an occupied building versus an unoccupied.

Just a thought.

Good luck,

Matt

Re: abandoned school (Atlanta,GA) - Posted by Stephen Ford

Posted by Stephen Ford on May 06, 2004 at 13:58:03:

No fences. I was standing less then 50 yards from it and couldn’t see it because of all the growth around it and I had to go behind two crack houses to just get that close! There are 3 foot paths that lead up to it from different directions for the ‘residents.’

Would I contact the county since it was a public school? Like you said, I don’t want to waste too much time on it if there are already plans for it and worse will be getting it shot down by the local association after doing a bunch of work. I know of one multimillion dollar project killed by them and they have two more in their sights :-/

Re: abandoned school (Atlanta,GA) - Posted by Stephen Ford

Posted by Stephen Ford on May 06, 2004 at 13:48:02:

Thanks, I really hadn’t thought of a good exit strat on it yet. I’m just looking for a place to start. Ok, ok, exit’s ARE the place to start :-). I guess since it was a public school, the county owns it and I should start there? I don’t think the county would tax a school so the tax records wouldn’t be of any help would they?