Abanoned car removal - Posted by jesse

Posted by Jerry Martin NC on August 17, 2003 at 11:44:56:

Sec 8 deals with saftey issues. I would ask them what the saftey issue is with your property. If they say the car them tell them they should have the city nuisence people bring an ordinence before your city council and have the car moved. It is not your responsibility what is on someone elses property. If they still refuse call the head of the housing authority and if that doesn’t work call H.U.D.

Abanoned car removal - Posted by jesse

Posted by jesse on August 16, 2003 at 15:27:17:

I just had a Sec 8 inspecion the other day and they told me that the abanoned car in the vacent lot next to my property had to be removed. I called the city code enforcement office to see if they could have the car towed. Because this is private property and the city can not locate the owner they will not tow the car. After some investigation I found out the owner has passed away and the vacent lot has been forclosed on(so they say). The car belongs to a relative in the neighborhood, but they refuse to move it and said they would sue me if I had it towed.

Q1) If I hire someone to tow the car can I be sued by the car’s owner. It’s not there property anymore since its been forclosed on.

Q2) If the property has not been forclosed on what options do I have for removing the car.

Any and all ideas would be much appreciated.

Re: Abanoned car removal - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on August 17, 2003 at 10:02:12:

Whoever told you this with Section 8 probably thinks the car is on your property or else is incompetent. I would try to go over their heads and talk to a supervisor. What they are asking you to do is called TRESPASSING and AUTO TEHFT. I’m sure that Section 8 can’t force a landlord to commit a felony in order to rent out a property.

Re: Abanoned car removal - Posted by Phillip

Posted by Phillip on August 17, 2003 at 05:22:48:

Wouldn’t it be cool if someone would call a towing service and ask to have their car towed from a vacant lot down the street to their own address? If that someone was you, how could it be proven? Use a pay phone.

Re: Abanoned car removal - Posted by ken

Posted by ken on August 16, 2003 at 21:39:29:

A friend of mine was told to paint a neighbors garage with chipping paint or put up a fence so his tenants kids could not get to it. Just 1 more reason Ido not accept tenants on government handouts. In my area if the yearly repairs are not done on time for section 8you will not get paid for the month and i was told by a section 8 official that you can not even legally ask for the rent from the tenant.

Re: Abanoned car removal - Posted by LeAnne-WA

Posted by LeAnne-WA on August 16, 2003 at 16:00:10:

I think I’d agree with Jim. Why would they expect you to remove personal property from a lot that you don’t own? Unless, perhaps they think the lot is part of your property…

I’d definately question why they want YOU to do the removal.

LeAnne

Re: Abanoned car removal - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on August 16, 2003 at 15:55:57:

If upon a midnight dreary, some unruly something-agers released the parking brake, and put the car into neutral, would it roll onto the street, making it a city problem? If they found that the car wouldn’t roll, might they be so frustrated that they would push the car quietly down the street for a block?

Wouldn’t it be a coincidence if a 24-hour towing company got a late night walk-in that paid cash to tow his car to an address that happens to be a cemetery?

Sorry about the musing, I don?t know the answer to your question.

Wait a minute - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on August 16, 2003 at 15:31:59:

jesse,
Alright, let me get this straight.
The section 8 office, or your local housing authority, is forcing YOU to deal with someone else’s property?

Did they deny you or something until this is taken care of?

Sure doesn’t seem right to me.
Heck, if we were responsible for our neighbors property…well, we are not.

This just does not sound right to me.
I’d look further into it with the housing department, and see what the real answer is.

If a neighbors house has chipped paint, are you also expected to paint it, to protect the section 8 tenants?
I don’t think so.

What is the deal here? why did they tell YOU this is an issue for your rental?

Let us know more and perhaps we can help,
Jim FL