About Bulls and their "by products" - Posted by John Behle

Posted by Matthew Chan on May 24, 1999 at 24:25:33:

I don’t know about anybody else but I do believe you (in the generic sense, not JP) should give as well as you receive. In that spirit, I will focus on providing more content and less general opinion. (We have a lot of opinions here on this board, don’t we?)

Well… I guess I will still ask the occasional question, too. :slight_smile:

About Bulls and their “by products” - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on May 23, 1999 at 18:30:03:

No offense to Ed’s post or any of the others. Possibly just a wake up call. At times this has been a wonderful forum about ideas, techniques, assistance, feedback and education.

Of late it seems to be full of battles, egos, opinionated outbursts, challenges, offenses, insults and other BULL.

A simple question that could foster some exciting and educational discussion turns into huge “I’m right - your wrong” baloney. Sometimes it can be just one ego stirring up everyone. What’s the purpose? What good does it do?

I have a gut feeling that many of those serious about education are getting fed up or have already left. Some seem to want to make the “bar scene from Star Wars” analogy come true.

WHEN TWO PEOPLE AGREE - ONE ISN’T NEEDED. You never learn much from someone you agree with. I value the diversity of opinions here and welcome all new ones. I’d like to see it directed back towards education.

Some possibly need to let their agressions and egos out in another chat room or on a computer game. Some should consider their agendas and the way they communicate. Especially when it comes to attacking others, putting them down or belittling them or their opinions. Now in cases where some dangeous or erroneous information is given, we should all hope and expect that someone will jump in immediately with a correction.

It’s about the tone more than the content. Yet content too. Personally, I used to read every post and respond to any I felt I had valid, original input into. Currently, I read very little of the posts since so many are fights, or totally irrelevant to the purpose of the board. I’m not talking about the occasionaly joke or computer tip, it’s the wasted bandwith of baloney.

Unfortunately, a post like this will probably fall on deaf ears, but maybe an appeal at this point can somewhat alter the direction. More than likely, it will just start one more fight.

Re: Ditto - Good post John - Posted by Jackie in Dallas

Posted by Jackie in Dallas on May 24, 1999 at 24:08:58:

I’m one of those people that used to post and respond to posts on a regular bases - but not anymore.

I completely agree with everything you said.

At one time this was THE place to go for real estate information, education, opinions, and thought provoking ideas. It sure would be nice to get that back again without all the back stabbing.

Perhaps if we had a “subject for the week” for a more focused discussion on constructive ideas we could all get more out of this potentially amazing forum.

Re: About Bulls and their “by products” - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on May 23, 1999 at 23:49:43:

You have driven your point to us quite nicely and effectively. As a “guilty party” to part of the bull, I will definitely exercise restraint in the future.

Having re-read some of my own posts, the tone was probably a little stronger than it had to be due to my ever-growing passion in this field. And probably some degree of “protectiveness” of the people I have learned so much from; this would include the “gurus” that participate here and the “very experienced members” of this board.

Anyhow, my part is done and the time has come to drop it. Thanks!

Re: About Bulls and their “by products” - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on May 23, 1999 at 23:31:32:

John,
You are absolutely right. I rarely read the board anymore and out of fear of being bashed I have for the most part stopped asking questions.

I recentl posted a question about my “dream house” only to feel ridiculed by people telling me not to get emotional over a home. This was not an investment, this is a home where I would love to have watched my children grow up. JP finally answered my question “will another deal like this come along?”.
I’d like to participate in the group more and would like for it to become more educational again. I learned most of what I know from this newsgroup and hope that someday I can learn from it again.

SCook85

Thanks John… - Posted by Scott (AK)

Posted by Scott (AK) on May 23, 1999 at 21:41:05:

Seems John said what I felt too…

I raise my hand in agreement and keep my mouth shut.

Scott (AK)

Re: About Bulls and their “by products” - Posted by V.P.

Posted by V.P. on May 23, 1999 at 21:30:43:

Re: People leaving,wonder what happened to Amy?

Re: About Bulls and their “by products” - Posted by Perry IL

Posted by Perry IL on May 23, 1999 at 21:04:09:

John has hit the proverbial nail on the head with his concise diagnosis of the shift in tonality of the communications within this web site to a more adversarial atmosphere.

“Diagnosis” is an apt description of what is needed by the good doctor to prescribe a remedy for the perceived illness that is creeping into the posting responses.

The vaporizing or smashing to smithereens technique, used to respond to an opinion of which one disagrees, has the effect of inflicting collateral damage upon the rest of us, by bringing us down. This is akin to being at your friend’s house when you were young, and having your friend’s parents rip into your friend for a disciplinarial objective of theirs. It casts a pall on you, as you feel the effect too.

Ed Garcia does a pretty good job of walking the fine line, of disagreeing with someone, yet offers a constructive solution to effect a positive outcome, without blowing someone completely out of the water.

I am for a more civil dialog.

Thank you for taking the time to read this posting.

Respectfully, Perry Harris.

PS If you disagree with this posting, I will be left with no other choice than to visit your domicile personally, and remove your head. LOL ( come on folks lighten up, it’s a joke)

No one in particular - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on May 23, 1999 at 23:58:35:

As I mentioned, my post was not directed towards any individual or post. It’s just a tone. Actually as I mentioned to Steve, I haven’t even read all of the posts of the one string below. It’s just a matter of the tone.

As an example, I make an innocent comment about the Jazz and get slammed by two people.

which way did you go? - Posted by PBoone

Posted by PBoone on May 24, 1999 at 08:40:42:

Scott,
Regarding your dreamhome. What finanlly happened there?
Pat

Don’t Let THEM Win - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on May 23, 1999 at 23:57:40:

Steve,

You, and many other “doers”, have been an inspiration to the visitors of this board. Lately, a new element has emerged which is trying to drain the energy and enthusiasm. Don’t let them win. If you avoid posting, for fear of getting an occasional “negative” comment, THEY win! That’s obviously their goal.

Now, JP is doing her part to keep these rogues out, but she can’t do it alone. And, if folks like you begin to leave, what’s left for the majority of folks who ask serious questions and post reasonable answers?

I hate the “intruders” as well, but in all aspects of life, we run into folks who want to help build and folks who want to destroy. It’s much easy to destroy. Integrate the advice you find useful and throw the rest away. But, do not pick up your marbles and leave. WE NEED YOU FOLKS!

I have a very thin skin. I don’t think that I could take some of the abuse that has been heaped on you folks who contribute so much. But, please know that there are many, many people who support your ideas, hopes and dreams just as we hope that you’ll continue to help us reach ours.

Sincerely,
Bill K. (AZ)

It just kinda struck me - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on May 23, 1999 at 23:43:50:

Thanks for speaking up. I used to approach the newsgroup with a feeling of “what’s new?”, “what’s going on?”, “who’s doing deals?”, “who needs assistance?”, “what neat ideas or tidbits are there?”

I noticed that lately, it felt more like obligation. At times I’ve not looked forward to it reading the posts. Sometimes I’ve checked it just to see what nonsense is going on or who is being attacked.

It can shift and needs to.

P.S. - Posted by J.P. Vaughan

Posted by J.P. Vaughan on May 24, 1999 at 24:09:07:

John–Posted in the wrong spot–that wasn’t directed to you,
but to everyone here.

With A Little Help From Our Friends… - Posted by J.P. Vaughan

Posted by J.P. Vaughan on May 23, 1999 at 23:53:41:

This news group belongs to everyone here. It is YOUR
resource. Help us make it better. I’m open to suggestions.

JP