ABS to PVC - Posted by Glen (OH)

Posted by Glen (OH) on March 14, 2006 at 17:12:07:

Thanks for all of the input. Space is somewhat of a problem but I may be able to fit a Fernco in. To be on the safe side I will probably solvent weld the connection with multi-purpose glue and then use a Fernco if it fits.

Glen (OH)

ABS to PVC - Posted by Glen (OH)

Posted by Glen (OH) on March 13, 2006 at 17:05:10:

I’m doing a rehab and replacing the rotted floor in the bath room near the commode. All of the drain lines I have done in the past have been the black ABS. The selection of ABS fittings at the local home centers are a bit scanty and I’d like to transition to white PVC. My question is, can I solvent weld ABS to PVC? I get conflicting info even from licensed plumbers I have talked to. The counter person at the plumbing supply house is also non-commital. Does any one have the right answer?

Glen (OH)

Re: ABS to PVC - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on March 14, 2006 at 08:03:50:

I used to be a plumber, held a Master’s License in 3 states. I ran into this situation on a house several years ago that had been plumbed with ABS. I talked to the Plumbing Codes Enforcement Officer in my area(Alabama). He told me that as long as I used a glue that was compatible with both types of pipe I could transition with glue up fittings. That is what I did, & I never got a call back so I have to assume it worked out OK.

I would be comfortable doing this on a non pressure line. However, a better solution would be to use a Fernco coupling or “No Hub” band, both of which are types of rubber couplings. I would base that decision on how much room was available, if the fittings need to be close together you can’t fit a Fernco between them. If I was working on a supply line I would go with the threaded fittings.

Re: ABS to PVC - Posted by jp(sc)

Posted by jp(sc) on March 14, 2006 at 05:47:34:

I think the only transition allowed by code is those flexible rubber couplers. Once you couple with the rubber you can go pvc from there on out. I have heard of the transition glue, which probably does work but I’ve heard of people in stick built remodels having to change from that to rubber couplings.

If you are looking for a good assortment of ABS fittings, try your local mobile home supply. Mine has plenty, whereas home depot and lowes hardly have any.

Re: ABS to PVC - Posted by Tom-FL

Posted by Tom-FL on March 13, 2006 at 21:49:02:

How many transitions do you need? If only a few under 2", then just use threaded adapters. i.e. ABS male adapter and PVC female adapter. With PVC at least, you can also get threaded nipples. So you could use that instead of the male adapter (better) and then solvent weld into the next fitting, or use a coupling and continue on.

Re: ABS to PVC - Posted by Ricked_Ga.

Posted by Ricked_Ga. on March 13, 2006 at 19:45:38:

Glen,
There is what they call transition glue ( i call it the green glue)because it is) its made for this purpose, can be got at most hardware stores, Lowes ,Home Depot. in this area anyway
Ricky

Re: ABS to PVC - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on March 13, 2006 at 19:17:29:

In our area, ABS is all they allow for waste lines. Even then, Home Depot does not carry ABS but Lowes and some of the local plumbing and mobile home supply stores do.

Usually this is only an issue for us when we are moving new homes in. Because it will be inspected, ABS is all we can use. I have no idea why they too only want ABS.

If you are simply making a repair and have no other alternative, give it a try. The waste and water is not pressurized so there is little stress on the joints. You can also locate black, fexible fittings as well. Unfortunately we sometimes have to get creative when no other alternative is available to us.

If nothing else works, I say give it a shot and see.

Tony

Re: ABS to PVC - Fernco worked for me - Posted by Neil (MS)

Posted by Neil (MS) on March 14, 2006 at 17:54:06:

I had some connections like that, and they leaked every time, even on drain pipes. I switched to the rubber couplings, and they’ve held up for about 3 years now with no problems.

Neil