Access to MLS - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Reg on December 31, 1998 at 20:04:08:

Stacy,
Way to go!
Reg(TX)

Access to MLS - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on December 31, 1998 at 19:25:03:

Something that may be of use to some of you non-realtors…

I emailed the local MLS board here in Phoenix. I explained to them that I was planning to open up a new corporation in 1999, dealing in buying and brokering discounted trust deeds. I asked if there was a possibility that I could qualify for an “affiliate” membership to the MLS, which would allow me to access the “sold” property data base, and run CMA’s and Comps.

My first reply was negative:

“The ARMLS rule you refer to applies to Affiliate members of the association. Affiliate membership is open to firms that have allied businesses, such as mortgage companies, pest control companies, appraisers, title companies. Affiliate membership is not available to individuals. The Maricopa Co. Assessor has or is close to having all properties in Maricopa Co. on the internet - this may well serve the purposes you need.”

Note: Actually, access to the Assessor’s and Recorder’s office is already available via internet, but it’s a primitive search by property address or owner’s name only. Not what I need)

I replied-back, explaining the benifits I would be providing to realtors, such as closing more deals through cash-out of carry-back mortgages, and I said I would be providing continuing education to realtors regarding the discount note industry…straight from John’s tapes.

The reply I received back was positive:

“Sounds like you would qualify once you establish your business.”

YES! Exactly what I was hoping for.

Hope this is of some help…

Stacy (AZ)

Good Approach - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on January 01, 1999 at 11:44:08:

Congratulations.

For others running into similar resistance an explanation of being a mortgage broker and hard money lender usually suffices.

Others just find an agent or broker willing to cooperate with them. MLS access is an excellent reason to become an agent. In the paper business, there are few drawbacks to having a license and many advantages. Access to “Exchange Groups” is one of the best resources you can have and a license is usually required.