ACCESSING MLS directory ; how to access ? - Posted by GIL

Posted by Fran CA on February 09, 2001 at 22:07:56:

Gil,

I have been searching the MLS for California properties at www.ca.realtor.com. Since I am in California it is the one of the few sites I have found that can let me be specific about the listings I am looking for, such as fixers. I am not sure what state you are in, but if you do a search you can probably find what you are looking for. I am not a licensed realtor and this site is great.

Hope that helps.
Fran

ACCESSING MLS directory ; how to access ? - Posted by GIL

Posted by GIL on February 09, 2001 at 16:33:37:

I heard of some veterans out there who have access to the MLS directory and on top of that they have software to interface / scan the MLS for properties that are offered below the market.
Any idea on how this is done? What software does this?

Another method I heard of was scanning the MLS directory for Key Words such as Motivated, desperate, ect.
Anybody know how this is done?

I hear people say the following concerning becoming an investor:
“you don’t need to be an agent, in fact it’s better if you’re not.”
Hmmmm? Sure you don’t NEED to get a R.E. License but doesn’t having the R.E. License give you an edge on some killer deals popping up in the MLS?

Otherwise how do I get the MLS access? What’s it cost?

Should I get a R.E. License? What does MLS access cost if I’m licensed? Is it Free once your licensed?

Thanks,
GIL

Here in NJ’s hot market… - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on February 10, 2001 at 19:12:15:

the hot deals (mostly REO’s) are snatched up before they hit the MLS.

I just hooked up with a realtor that only deals with REO’s. It seems that his company lists the REO’s owned by many of the banks here. When his weekly list comes out, he first gets it to his investors before he releases anything on the MLS. Found him by driving in my neighborhood and seeing a sign. You might do good by hooking up with one of these realtors.

Re: ACCESSING MLS directory ; how to access ? - Posted by Dallas Allbritton

Posted by Dallas Allbritton on February 10, 2001 at 16:18:20:

A realtors license is not needed to find good deals. If you are working a certain part of town, driving the area will tell you a lot. I debated going through the steps and cost to “get” a license and decided that it was not needed or worth it.

Having access to the MLS does provide you with something that only realtors have and REALTOR.COM does not provide it, or come close. Doing what it takes to get a license foir access to MLS is like doing what it takes to get a license to become a mechanic just to fix a flat. The best thing to do and this can be tough is find a realtor that will provide you with the information you need and they can. If you ask for a listing of old or recently expired listings (as an example) and tell the agent that you will pay them something if the deal closes and do so a good agent will take care of you.

Re: ACCESSING MLS directory ; how to access ? - Posted by George

Posted by George on February 10, 2001 at 02:22:29:

you can access many states MLS properties by going to:

http://www.realtor.com/

Then, click in your state

George