Add a 2nd Bath ? Worth it? - Posted by DSmith

Posted by dealmaker on April 26, 2006 at 13:14:27:

I’ve never seen a case where it didn’t make sense to add a 2nd bath. Of course I’m in TX and don’t have to deal with things like building codes, inspections, etc. If you have to expand the footprint to do it, it might not be economically feasible, although any expansion might give you space for a laundry or bigger kitchen.

Good luck

dealmaker

Add a 2nd Bath ? Worth it? - Posted by DSmith

Posted by DSmith on April 26, 2006 at 13:02:42:

I just bought a 1920?s bungalow in Atlanta. It?s currently a 3-1 and the one bathroom is pretty small. This is my first time buying a property like this, so I?m not sure exactly how to approach the rehab.

In these kinds of properties, how important is it to add a 2nd bathroom? Does it usually add enough value to make it worth it? If I have to expand the house to make it work, is it still worth it? What if I could expand the existing bathroom into a really big bathroom?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Add a 2nd Bath ? Worth it? - Posted by baths

Posted by baths on April 26, 2006 at 17:03:16:

Figure how much it will cost to do the rehab.
Also assess how much similar 3/2’s are going for in the same neighborhood compared to the 3/1’s.
Then figure out if there is enough room for you to recoup ALL your various involved costs (not only contruction costs but things like extra holding costs, etc.) and still make enough extra money to be worth doing the project. How much extra money is worth your time and effort is up to you.

Re: Add a 2nd Bath ? Worth it? - Posted by Joe

Posted by Joe on April 26, 2006 at 14:45:40:

It would probably add value no matter what you did. But, I think it would only add significant value if you added a bathroom and one or the other was a master bathroom. Two non-master bathrooms doesn’t seem like a deal.