Adjoining property Fence - Posted by Carol Ludlow

Posted by Max-Va on April 10, 2007 at 19:03:57:

Only a survey can tell for sure. Look at the property lines if the fence is on your side you own it if not the neighbors own it. In fact you may not own any of the fences or maybe all of them.

Adjoining property Fence - Posted by Carol Ludlow

Posted by Carol Ludlow on January 04, 2006 at 23:11:15:

When my son purchased his house 2 years ago there was a concrete brick wall on the property boundery to the rear of his property. This was a very shaky structure which eventually came down. My son removed the brick structure (he has children and this was unsafe) and has replaced it with a wooden fence. It is on the boundery line - is the neighbor who owns the adjoining property liable for half of the cost of the fence or is my son totally responsible for this because he replaced the previous one?

Thank you,

Carol Ludlow

Re: Adjoining property Fence - Posted by River City

Posted by River City on January 08, 2006 at 15:10:05:

I would not see why your son’s neighbor would be responsible for a decision your son made totally on his own and for his personal benefit. If he wanted the neighbor to contribute, he should have consulted with the neighbor prior to committing to any work on the property.

Re: Adjoining property Fence - Posted by John

Posted by John on January 05, 2006 at 17:10:07:

In my experience with fences, the price is often split between the property owners. That said, it is agreed to before the fence is started. I don’t see how you could expect a property owner to pay for half the fence when he was never consulted beforehand.
I would advise your son to discuss improvements that benefit two or more property owners with the neighbors before undertaking the project, they might volonteer to help with the work or contribute with the costs.

to the left or to the right - Posted by maz

Posted by maz on April 10, 2007 at 16:18:11:

We was told when we first moved in by our neighbours that we owned the fences to the left in the back garden. now we have new neighbours they are telling us we own the fences to the right. would you know if it is the right or the left that we own???