Advertising for Investors Lonnie,Dirk,Ernest - Posted by bwhite-tn

Posted by Dirk Roach on May 11, 2000 at 13:57:08:

As far as advertising for investors…my advice, my attorneys advice, every sucessful person I know in the game advice…Don’t.
Better yet, pool that money that you plan on spending on advertising, and go hang out with people who have money, and don’t have good yeilds on investments. Shoot the breeze a little…Smooze a little.
I’m with Earnest on this too. Conventions are great. Friends are great. Heck just getting out and talking to people is a great way to pick up investors.
See the funny thing is, when you’re making money, other people often want to know how they too can get in on that action.
Hope this helps,
Dirk

Advertising for Investors Lonnie,Dirk,Ernest - Posted by bwhite-tn

Posted by bwhite-tn on May 10, 2000 at 18:49:31:

Would it be illegal to place an ad in the newspaper
to attract investors?
I wouldn’t want to have to answer to the SEC.
Any ides on getting investors beyond personal contacts?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Good Investing

Re: Thanks Ernest and Dirk - Posted by bwhite-tn

Posted by bwhite-tn on May 11, 2000 at 18:11:02:

Thanks for your replies. They jogged my memory. Local research revealed a couple companies that advertised
for investors in the first wave of Home Equity Loans here. They had to return over a million dollars to investors,make good on 1.5 million in mortgages, and pay about a quarter million in fines.

On second thought I believe I will travel a different
road.

Bobby

Re: Advertising for Investors Lonnie,Dirk,Ernest - Posted by Ernest Tew

Posted by Ernest Tew on May 11, 2000 at 06:53:47:

Except for registered securities (which would be cost prohibitive), advertising for investors is usually a violation of the Federal Securities laws and the laws of most states.

In the beginning, I got most of my investors through personal contacts and referrals. It’s very important that you keep your investors happy. When you do, you will find that doing business with investors repeatedly is the easiest way of all. Don’t hesitate to ask a satisfied investor for referrals.

Seminars and conventions (such as CRE) are a great place to meet investors. More importantly, by reading good books and attending related seminars, you can gain the education and confidence that will help you to convince others to invest with you.

After attending an average of four excellent seminars each year for the past forty years, I find that almost all my investors were met at seminars or were referred to me as a result of a seminar I had attended.