Affidavit to get tax data??? - Posted by Alex

Posted by Bert G on November 10, 2000 at 11:02:31:

Since Joe lives and delas in Washington State, he may be the better one to ask here. But of course he’s not a lawyer.

BG

Affidavit to get tax data??? - Posted by Alex

Posted by Alex on November 09, 2000 at 21:54:21:

In researching how to get my hands on tax assessor data in my state, I learned that I am required to sign an affidavit where I promise not to use the data for ‘commercial’ purposes. Why the hell else would anyone what such data but for commercial purposes!!!

Specifically, the required form says:

…having been duly sworn, deposes and says:

1. I have requested copies of the public records of the Assessor’s Property Information Files.

2. I understand that Washington State law, RCW 42.17.260(9), prohibits the use of lists of individuals for ?commercial purposes.?

3. I understand that the use for ?commercial purposes? of said record may also violate the rights of the individual(s) named therein and may subject me to liability for such commercial use.

4. I understand that sections 2 and 3 herein apply when I use said records for ?commercial purposes? and when others use said records or copies of same for ?commercial purposes?, I understand that I may be liable in either use.

5. I understand that ?commercial purposes? means that the person requesting the record intends that the list will be used for general business purposes, including but not limited to communicating with the individual(s) named in the record for the purpose of facilitating profit expecting activity.

6. Therefore, I do hereby swear and affirm on oath and under penalty of law that I will not use said records for ?commercial purposes? and that, further, it is my affirmative duty to prevent others from using records for ?commercial purposes.?
    ========================================================
    It is especially number 5 that I am worried about. The only reason I would be contacting the owners is with profit in mind…

Any advice? Should I be concerned?

Re: Affidavit to get tax data??? - Posted by ScottE

Posted by ScottE on November 09, 2000 at 23:32:20:

Alex,

I would try running your question by Joe Kaiser at www.nothingdown.com
and Bill Bronchick at www.legalwiz.com

Scott