ALERT! Watch out for this virus! - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on April 27, 1999 at 01:41:25:

Jim,
Thanks for the kind and encouraging words. As you can see, I’m not totally offline. I spent a few hours tonight re-installing an OS on my laptop. (it has no CD=rom drive, so floppies had to be used…took forever)
My Desktop P.C. is in the shop, some other problems arrose from that one, and rather than tackle it, I am paying to have it doen right.
What a nightmare.
Well, I hope no one else had to deal with this!
I am still unsure as to “where” I got the virus.
But, I already have a new Anti-virus package coming and will have it installed tommorrow.
Lessons learned here today…from the school of hard knocks!
Take care,
Jim IL

ALERT! Watch out for this virus! - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on April 26, 1999 at 17:06:02:

I know that this may be a little of the beaten path here, but I HAD to post this.
Today, I went in the office and booted up my laptop and desktop computers to begin some much needed work.
Well, today is 4/26/99, the 13th anniversary of the “Chernobyl” disaster.
Guess what?
There is a virus that activates today, and wpies out hard drives.
And “yes”, every computer in my home had it.
So, we are a bit crippled.
If you have anti-virus software, do not re-boot, just go download the latest definitions and then sign off and use them to scan.
I did have a few files backed up, but by far, not all.
My files are now all lost!
And, I’ll be out a few dollars to get new hard drives or whatever it takes to fix them.
Just wanted to give you all a heads up, and say, “Keep that anti-virus software updated!”
I did not, and am now at the local library online doing comps.
Take care, and I’ll see you all next week, when/if I get a working computer again!
Later,
Jim IL

Good News - Bad News - Posted by Jim Kennedy

Posted by Jim Kennedy on April 26, 1999 at 18:22:31:

Jim,

Sorry to hear that the Chernobyl virus, aka CIH, nailed your hard drives. The bad news is - all your data is history. The good news is - you probably don’t have to replace the hard drives. The virus only destroys the data. You will have to reformat the hard drives and then reinstall all of your software programs, starting with whatever operating system you use. If you don’t know how to do this, be sure to get some competent assistance. Good Luck!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX