Alternative way to search CREOnline - Posted by Mark Azevedo (CA)

Posted by Mark Azevedo (CA) on December 16, 1999 at 16:57:31:

Darn!! The secrets out! Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

:wink:

Alternative way to search CREOnline - Posted by Mark Azevedo (CA)

Posted by Mark Azevedo (CA) on December 16, 1999 at 16:44:46:

Many of you have been waiting for the search engine to resume operation. In the mean time, there is a temporary way you can search for info on this site. It is limited but something is better then nothing.

If you go to www.altavista.com, you can search by URL. For example, say I am looking for all posts by John Behle. I would enter the following information into the search field:

url:http://www.creonline.com ā€œPosted by JPiperā€

The Altavista engine will then only focus on the CREOnline site and look for the string ā€œPosted by John Behleā€. The quotes in this case are important because they tell Altavista to find those exact words in that exact sequence. This is known as performing a search using Boolean operators. Itā€™s not as bad as it sounds. You can learn more about it at:

Most search sites incorporate Boolean rules even if you donā€™t specify them.

The Altavista process has its limitations. First of all, the information in Altavistaā€™s database is only as current as the last time it crawled the CREOnline site. It looks like it is running about 3 months behind current posts. Second, the results are not necessarily be all-inclusive and may not be in chronological order. If you can live with the above two caveats then I encourage you to give it a whirl.

Wishing you all a joyous holiday season,

• Mark.

Slight typo in ā€œAlternative way to search CREOnlineā€ - Posted by Mark Azevedo

Posted by Mark Azevedo on December 16, 1999 at 16:53:54:

I originally created the post for the Cashflow forum and was using John Behle in the example. I failed to make a minor edit when flavoring it for NG1. My post should have read:

ā€¦"If you go to www.altavista.com, you can search by URL. For example, say I am looking for all posts by JPIPER. I would enter the following information into the search field:

url:http://www.creonline.com ā€œPosted by JPiperā€

Apologies for any confusion. Hey, whatā€™s the holiday season without some confusion (just go to your local shopping mall for mega-dose!)??

Sincerely,

• Mark.

Re: I always suspectedā€¦ - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on December 16, 1999 at 16:53:20:

I always suspected that JPiper and John Behle were, in fact, the same person! LOL

Stacy