An Affordable way to spruce up a MH Deal - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by don, sdca on January 13, 2000 at 23:01:39:

I assume that you would provide them “as-is where-is” or with the short-term warranty from the dealer (if purchased that way)!?

My limited experience with rental properties has shown similar positive results of appliances!

Don, sdca

An Affordable way to spruce up a MH Deal - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on January 13, 2000 at 21:17:20:

Hello everyone,
During last year’s convention, I have to say that my socks were blown off by Jeffery Taylor. Almost instantly I saw a correlation between his target market and my own. I mean after all, 99% of my mobile home buyers are pulled from the renter market.
Can’t wait to see what I can pick up at this years convention.
One of the many, many tidbits which he talked about were putting in washers and dryers. Now I get a lot of calls from folks from the 38 laundry mats that I currently have tear-off flyers in. A lot of calls, I have tracked 68 out of the 170 or so calls coming in a week on average.
So hmmm, if there were that many people in the laundry mat doing laundry then a washer and dryer in the mobile home, should be a great selling point.
Now I don’t like to pay full price for big things like this, so I went and found several used appliance businesses, which take in old appliances that have problems or whatnot, fix them and then resell them. A couple of these even guaranteed them for 3 or 6 months.
The average cost of a used good washer or dryer (in my market) from one of these businesses is around $100 bucks a piece.
After some market tests I soon discovered that I could raise the price of one of my mobiles homes as much as $1000.00 with the addition of a washer and dryer.
Folks just seem to love them, especially if they have young children.
Then we discovered public auctions. We have several around San Diego. They have everything from soup to nuts at these auctions and I have over the last month or so seen running appliances going for as little as $5.00 or $10.00! Wow! So the appliance guys are out for now and I am getting my needed appliances at the public auctions.
Anyhow I am sure that there are these auctions in almost every city, so I would check around, because I have found out here (where everything seems to be a little more expensive) great savings at them.
Also at ours I have seen doors, windows, tools etc. I even saw a full above ground swimming pool that went for $20.00. Not that I plan on putting in a pool on one of my Lonnie Deals, but I thought that was a pretty good price.
Hope this helps and good luck with everyone’s investments,
Dirk

Re: An Affordable way to spruce up a MH Deal - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on January 14, 2000 at 05:02:50:

The concepts brought up by you & Jeff work with most anything…I’ve done the same with several different kinds of appliances. Here’s another twist on thinking a little out of the box. Tax refunds are coming up. Many of the people to whom I sell homes are on the Earned Income Tax Credit. Most of those people pay H&R Block around $250 to do their return. I’m advertising “use your refund as a down”- nothing new there. I ALSO offer to DO their return FREE if they apply the down towards the purchase of one of my homes. I’ll let you know how/if this works.

John Hyre