An American Tradition... - Posted by JPiper

Posted by Dirk Roach on May 01, 1999 at 07:22:14:

Ed,
I can tell you there are lots of great examples of RE purchases in AM history which were done creatively. :slight_smile:
Seriously though entire nations (the Tribes) were conquered this way. Sometimes the pen is mightier than the sword. In my particular tribe (Cherokee) we were forcibly evicted even though the supreme court ruled in our favor.
But then again that was a Loonnng time ago.
I certainly wish that our Schools would look at things like you do in regards to LA Purchase and like Mr. Piper does in regard to american ingnutity. Might get some kids to think about things differently. In fact the entire time that I was in Public schools I can’t recall any classes which were offered, where serious finance, investing, or money managment skills where focused on at all.
But then again maybe I wouldn’t get all these calls on my mobile homes if they were.
Dirk

An American Tradition… - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on April 30, 1999 at 23:42:43:

Recently I was reading the history of the Hotel del Coronado while surfing on the web. For those of you who might like to read this history it’s located at www.hoteldel.com. While reading this I encountered some interesting information.

But first things first. The Hotel del Coronado is a 692 room luxury hotel located in Coronado, California, on what is sometimes called the “Enchanted Island”, across the bay from San Diego. It sits on the beach. The hotel was opened in 1888, one of it’s original claims to fame being that it was lighted by the light bulb, a recent invention at the time! In 1977 the hotel became a national historic landmark. Thirteen presidents have stayed at the hotel, beginning with Benjamin Harrison in 1891, and including Roosevelt, Nixon, Regan. Various movies have been filmed their, to include “Some Like It Hot”. This is a 4-Star hotel. I mention all this to communicate the sense of uniqueness about the hotel?.many regard it as a special place. And if you don’t believe it, check their room prices out!

In any case, in 1939 the hotel was closed briefly. This history doesn’t really say why this was, but perhaps it was related to World War II. Now picture this?..a famous hotel closed, perhaps decaying from non-use?.especially due to it’s proximity to the Pacific ocean. Suddenly, in 1948, the hotel is sold to an individual named Robert Norblom. Forty-eight hours later Norblom resells the hotel to Barney Goodman, a Kansas City hotelier, who undertakes a restoration.

Wild huh? One of the more famous hotels in the US was flipped! 48 hours no less! The history does not of course give the prices. But to give a sense of what we’re talking about, in 1963 M. Larry Lawrence, a Chicago real estate developer, purchases the hotel?..and begins an $80 million restoration and expansion.

This story struck me, because it reminded me of that fine OLD tradition of American capitalism?..the art of flipping.

JPiper

Re: The most historical American flip… - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on May 01, 1999 at 01:40:42:

Jim:

The most historical American flip was the Louisiana Purchase.

The Louisiana Purchase has been described as the greatest real estate deal in history. In 1803 the
United States paid France $15 million for the Louisiana Territory–828,000 square miles of land west of
the Mississippi River. The lands acquired stretched from the Mississippi River to the Rocky Mountains
and from the Gulf of Mexico to the Canadian border. Thirteen states were carved from the Louisiana
Territory. The Louisiana Purchase nearly doubled the size of the United States, making it one of the
largest nations in the world.

The Louisiana Purchase consists of three separate agreements between the United States and France:
a treaty of cession and two agreements providing for the exchange of monies in the transaction. The
volume shown above is the French exchange copy of the convention providing for the settlement of an
earlier debt owed by France to the United States. The first image shows the volume closed; the second
shows the volume open to the page bearing Napoleon Bonaparte’s signature.

Jim, Bottom line. Napoleon purchased the territory from Spain, Flipped it
to the United States for $15,000,000. To raise money for a war against
England.

Ed Garcia

Re: The most historical American flip… - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on May 01, 1999 at 01:40:42:

Jim:

The most historical American flip was the Louisiana Purchase.

The Louisiana Purchase has been described as the greatest real estate deal in history. In 1803 the
United States paid France $15 million for the Louisiana Territory–828,000 square miles of land west of
the Mississippi River. The lands acquired stretched from the Mississippi River to the Rocky Mountains
and from the Gulf of Mexico to the Canadian border. Thirteen states were carved from the Louisiana
Territory. The Louisiana Purchase nearly doubled the size of the United States, making it one of the
largest nations in the world.

The Louisiana Purchase consists of three separate agreements between the United States and France:
a treaty of cession and two agreements providing for the exchange of monies in the transaction. The
volume shown above is the French exchange copy of the convention providing for the settlement of an
earlier debt owed by France to the United States. The first image shows the volume closed; the second
shows the volume open to the page bearing Napoleon Bonaparte’s signature.

Jim, Bottom line. Napoleon purchased the territory from Spain, Flipped it
to the United States for $15,000,000. To raise money for a war against
England.

Ed Garcia

Being an American Indian… - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on May 01, 1999 at 07:22:14:

Ed,
I can tell you there are lots of great examples of RE purchases in AM history which were done creatively. :slight_smile:
Seriously though entire nations (the Tribes) were conquered this way. Sometimes the pen is mightier than the sword. In my particular tribe (Cherokee) we were forcibly evicted even though the supreme court ruled in our favor.
But then again that was a Loonnng time ago.
I certainly wish that our Schools would look at things like you do in regards to LA Purchase and like Mr. Piper does in regard to american ingnutity. Might get some kids to think about things differently. In fact the entire time that I was in Public schools I can’t recall any classes which were offered, where serious finance, investing, or money managment skills where focused on at all.
But then again maybe I wouldn’t get all these calls on my mobile homes if they were.
Dirk