Annoying Neighbors... - Posted by Jen-LA

Posted by SusanL.–FL on June 01, 2000 at 15:11:16:

nt.

Annoying Neighbors… - Posted by Jen-LA

Posted by Jen-LA on June 01, 2000 at 06:37:32:

Our newest rehab is right behind a really nice garden nursery (the garden district part of town), which is great- plants and birds flying around back there. It really is nice, but the only problem is the totally annoying owner of this nursery has decided to make it his life’s ambition to persuade us that we’ve made a mistake in buying this house (which is also NEXT DOOR to his own house) and fix it up.

The day we had our re agent and contractor out there giving us an estimate (we got the house for 18,000- 4br, 2ba, wood floors, 1600sqft) on fix up costs- 15,500 total, this guy comes over when he sees us and launches into how HORRIBLE the neighborhood is (that he lives in, hmmmmm) and how the house is just FALLING apart- basically all stuff we knew. Ol Red my contractor just rolled his eyes and said- “don’t listen to this guy”.

He stood there and took up our time for 30 minutes- just being a real know it all. Well of course we bought the house, the bank appraisal after fix up came back at 55,000- and our bank appraisals are always a good 10,000 low. Everythings going great except nursery guy keeps coming over and telling our workers to make SURE they don’t leave any tools out and reiterating (like they care) to them what bad shape the house was in.

Well, as it turns out, HE wanted to buy the property and extend his nursery back (AH-HAH!) because the house really sits on 2 lots. This all came out yesterday, and it seems like he’s almost defeated at not being able to get it - I guess he thought nobody would buy that piece of @#$% (or he could go talk every prospective buyer he saw out of it)and he’d be able to get it for next to nothing.

Anyway, I can live with all that, as my mother says, " he just doesn’t think like ya’ll do"- which is true, but now I’m starting to get worried that everytime WE have a potential buyer over there, he’s going to go over and give them the blab treatment about how it had termites etc. I’m starting to think he’s the devil…

SOOOOOO, any tips on how to deal with this idiot??

Re: Annoying Neighbors… - Posted by dewCO

Posted by dewCO on June 01, 2000 at 19:02:15:

I would follow Corey’s advice, but also tell your potential buyer up front the history with this guy. Have them do a complete inspection so they know nothing is wrong with the house. And maybe even give them a little better deal than usual, in case they have to put with this guy after they buy.

Re: Annoying Neighbors… - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on June 01, 2000 at 09:46:40:

I think you can count on his activities continuing. So I agree with JohnG…tell him he is not welcome on your property. Life is not a popularity contest. Further, I would point out that the law takes very seriously interference with a contract…they even have a term for it…“tortious interference”. If he should help to undo a contract with a future buyer of yours, that could be actionable.

JPiper

STAY AWAY … - Posted by JohnG

Posted by JohnG on June 01, 2000 at 09:26:10:

Just tell this guy in no uncertain terms “I don’t want you on my property - STAY AWAY”.

Theres no law says we have to nice to everybody !!!

Re: Annoying Neighbors… - Posted by Corey (ND)

Posted by Corey (ND) on June 01, 2000 at 09:23:28:

I always say take the honest and friendly approach. Sit down with the gentleman and explain you situtation and that you are in business just like him. You have rehabbed this house to a like new condition. All of the problems have been repaired. Then explain that you are going to be selling the property and would appreciate that he please stay away from the house and potential buyers.

If he won’t, go out and buy the biggest darn stereo you can set it up in the yard facing the greenhouse and crank up the heaviest metal music you can find. Also tell everyone comming into his greenhouse that all of his plants are sick and will die. Or buy a big bottle of Roundup. :slight_smile: (tounge in cheek)

Now seriously be polite and VERY forward with the gentleman and explain that you don’t want your customers bothered anymore than he wants his bothered.

Best of luck with him. Keep us updated.

Corey

Re: Annoying Neighbors… - Posted by Scott SC

Posted by Scott SC on June 01, 2000 at 09:14:36:

Well, if I was a potential buyer I wouldn’t want to hear any of this guys junk, and I definitely wouldn’t want to live beside him.
He is going to pose a problem to you. Maybe you can get him on your good side. Find a way for him to be an asset, not a deterent. Kill him with kindness.

You know the 'ole saying: ‘Buyer BEWARE’! - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on June 02, 2000 at 08:18:07:

I’m not so sure it would be a good idea to disclose the fact that the neighbor might be very hard to live with.

Personally speaking, if I thought that I might be buying into a ‘situation’ (looney neighbors), I might just look elsewhere. Who needs the added aggravation? Life’s too short.

(I’ve put my ‘battle fatigues’ to bed for awhile!
At least till my next landlording venture! :slight_smile:

Re: Annoying Neighbors… - Posted by JohnG

Posted by JohnG on June 01, 2000 at 15:03:04:

As far as him coming back in tyhe middle of the night to break windows as was suggested below, I don’t think he will. Its not the loud, obnoxious types that plan covert activities of this sort - rather it is the quiet person who just glares at you and doesn’t say a word that you have to watch out for.

If you deliberately antagonize ‘Plant Man’,… - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on June 01, 2000 at 10:39:59:

he may be ‘inclined’ to hurl a few rocks (at Jen’s property) after the sun sets!

Amazing! We had same problem (long) - Posted by Brett

Posted by Brett on June 01, 2000 at 15:08:30:

We thought we were the only ones with this problem. We bought a bank owned house that the Neighbor was also the previous owner (of our house) who had been defaulted on. This man was also trying to buy back the property at the time we did. Even though he kept getting turned down on loans etc he didn’t see any problem with him getting a loan. (My brother runs a pawn shop in the area and afterwards we found out he knew this guy’s whole family from them hocking things. He said they were all mental cases which I now know.) So we bought the place. And this guy became violent and confrontational; waiting for us to come home every day to harass us and threaten us. We had many shouting matches mainly because he also thought he should be able to use our driveway since we had a back entrance to use. He tried to run off our potential buyers a few times. But take Corey’s advice be very nice. And tell him he’ll have a chance to buy the property back when you sell. If he’s interested he won’t want to do anything to mess up his opportunity to buy. And tell him you are going to show the property to other people and “you don’t want your customers bothered anymore than he wants his bothered.” Just like Corey said. When we put our house up for sale he acted like he was our best friend because we had what he wanted. Don’t be pushed around, but don’t let it get to a fighting match. Be nice. When he was trying to buy it from us he was in my control. He kept wanting to talk about selling, but I just kept bringing up all the stuff he did to us and made him apologize several times before I would talk about the house. You’ll get your buyer it’s just a matter of time. Once you get rid of that house the chances of going through a deal like that again are very slim. Keep your chin up. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. Our house should close in the next two weeks and we’ll be done with it. Good luck! -Brett