any frustrated medical professionals? - Posted by lehua

Posted by GL - ON on July 10, 2003 at 21:18:02:

I once heard of a dentist who got involved with real estate investing, and wound up quitting dentistry. Will he do?

I think he also wrote a book on property management by checklist. He was a friend of Canadian guru Raymond Aaron.

any frustrated medical professionals? - Posted by lehua

Posted by lehua on July 10, 2003 at 20:07:43:

Just wondering if there are any medical professionals in here that are getting frustrated with the whole medical industry (managed care,insurances, HIPPA etc.) and are looking to quit their professions or have already quit the medical field and are heading toward financial freedom through REI. Anybody out there like that?

Re: any frustrated medical professionals? - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on July 10, 2003 at 21:45:19:

I have posted before about my experience in the medical field, and while this really isn’t the proper forum for those discussions, suffice it to say I anticipate my retirement being funded by real estate, not medicine.

However, there are – at least for me – aspects of most activities which can be frustrating. Certainly that’s true of medicine, but for the moment the benefits still outweigh the frustrations, though it’s difficult to say how long that may last. I’ve spent a lot of time and money getting good at what I do in the medical profession. I’ve considered many times whether I’d be happier just concentrating on RE and giving up medicine, but thus far the answer I come up with is that more often than not I do enjoy it and I’m not ready to give it up quite yet.

But nothing is a panacea. Lord knows there are plenty of aspects of RE investing that are just as frustrating as anything I encounter in the medical field. However, the difference is that in RE, if I can figure out how to beat the frustrations and get a deal done, the reward is both financial and personal satisfaction. Dealing with the frustrations in medicine doesn’t gain me anything financially, other than keeping my job another day (and contributing to someone else’s wealth).

If I get fed up with some jerk and tell them I wouldn’t buy their house if it was the last one standing in the state of NY, they just go away. If I do that in medicine, I get fired.

It’s all about self-direction and the ultimate control of one’s own future.

Brian (NY)