any such thing as "de-fertilizer"? - Posted by Greg(PA)

Posted by Killer Joe on May 18, 2005 at 22:22:28:

Greg,

Be careful with that salt! Once you put salt down you can never get rid of it. It is not biodegradable and can have lasting effects that may prove not to your liking. I’m no expert on the subject, so do your homework on this one before you have regrets.

KJ

any such thing as “de-fertilizer”? - Posted by Greg¶

Posted by Greg¶ on May 18, 2005 at 13:48:42:

I have a vacant lot on a highway. Last year I paid a guy to mow it once a month in the summer, it would get about a foot tall.
This year I got a letter from the township saying that anything over 5 inches is a “public nuisance”…they are trying to give me a hard time. This means I will have to pay this guy to cut it every two weeks or even more often.

Is there anything I can spray on the grass that will make it unhealthy and grow slowly, without killing it altogether? I don’t really care how it looks, but there probably has to be some groundcover so I can’t just turn it into dirt. Any ideas appreciated.

Carpet. - Posted by Mr. Big

Posted by Mr. Big on May 19, 2005 at 17:17:14:

Get lots of old carpet from carpet stores. They give it away free. Cover the ground where you want to stop the grass and weeds from growing and nothing will grow. After a month you can roll back the carpet and see nothing but plain dirt underneath. It kills everything. Yet it also holds the soil down and controls erosion by wind and rain.

Later you can remove and dispose of the carpet, or just sow grass seed on top, water it for a week or 2 and the grass roots will grow right down through the carpet to the soil.

Nylon carpet will last for years in this application.

You could even spray it with green dye and have the prettiest lawn in town.

Re: any such thing as “de-fertilizer”? - Posted by IA Jeff

Posted by IA Jeff on May 19, 2005 at 08:20:39:

In the early to mid eighties I worked on a farm where we sprayed something specifically for that…slow the growth of the grass. My guess is we found it at either a farm implement dealer, a seed & feed dealer or a farm chemical dealer.

I haven’t used it or thought of it since. Also, maybe you could call a lawn service co. like “Liqui-Green” or “Lawn Doctor”

Jeff

Re: any such thing as “de-fertilizer”? - Posted by Greg¶

Posted by Greg¶ on May 18, 2005 at 22:05:42:

I don’t want to kill the grass permanently, and I want it to last through the summer. I was in Home Despot looking for stuff and I ran into a contractor who said salt would be best. Can probably get it for free right about now from contractors who have leftovers from winter, and it should last a few months.

roundup - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on May 18, 2005 at 13:54:21:

is what farmers use to kill the weeds, lasts about a month

KJ’s right in the Bible… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on May 19, 2005 at 06:25:49:

it tells of conquering armies SALTING the fields of the enemy so that nothing would grow for years, if not generations. I’d still go with roundup last about 30 days.